Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to replace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Replace the traveler bearings if one of the two following conditions are met

1. You have excessive play in the traveler
2. The travler does not slide freely even when the track is clean and lubricated.

Often you will find if one of the above statements is true, so is the other.

Post subject: H 18 traveller bearings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton of Kansas said his bearings were 1/2" diameter. My vernier caliper, (which is tricky to use,) game me a measurement on my brand new ball and slug of about 18.2 mm. Like the rest of the world (other than the USA,) we are metric. That translates to 0.7125". Are these the defined tolerances?

I tried to mount the traveller car last week, but it looks like I will have to unbolt or loosed the crossbar to allow for enough clearance to get the car in. Is there a trick?

Can't wait for Xmas break and our trip to Florida. Time to visit that rental guy in Pompano. Happy Holidays all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,

Thanks for sharing the measurements. This is a significant difference. I'm now motivated to measure our crossbar track.

Matt M,

When can we expect the verdict on the 600 in stock? Will a new batch be available over the Winter? Or, should we search for what we need from dealer/s' stock?

Post subject: Hobie 18 bearings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:21 am 
Site Admin

We are trying to see if we can modify the existing stock of parts. They are all too large, but within tolerances on the original blue prints.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: If I may
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After much thought, I decided to use the dremel to open the gate in the end of the crossbar to accept the larger slugs. It took less than 30 seconds to open it up slightly. As we expected the larger slugs do fit into the track. The scarry thing is, with the larger slugs, and therefor tighter fit, the travler works better than my previous 18 when it had new slugs. If you want my honest opinion, the slugs are made right, it is the crossbar that is wrong. I say keep supplying the larger slugs with instructions to modify the entrance of the rear crossmember.

Collin

Post subject: Re: If I may
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BLOW ME II wrote:
I say keep supplying the larger slugs with instructions to modify the entrance of the rear crossmember.

I think we've said this before, but I would second the motion. Matt would probably concur it'll be difficult for Hobie to sell something that doesn't slip right in like the originals.

In regards to Collins report of the fit and operation of the "oversized", and knowing how loose our originals are, I'd personnaly like to try two sets. I would take responsibility for modification of my own boat, in case I screw it up :oops: although I'm not going to hold my breath.

Any dealers wan't to sell some of the "defective" H18 traveller bearings?, please reply.

Post subject: Oversizes bearings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would also like to try a set of oversized bearings. No warranty or return can be stated.

As a former Tool & Die guy I can modify the slug (if it dosn't fit) but haven't quite figured out how to reduce the ball diameter. (Not that I've given it much thought).

Any dealers have some oversized bearing sets??

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: Every One has them
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you go buy a set of bearings from a dealer, unless it is old, it is probably the larger ones. I got mine from Murray's. I would buy more but I am hoping to take delivery of a new Tiger the spring. Maybe, Hobie can sell both sizes. If I understand correctly they have six hundred of the larger ones and are looking into modifing those down to the smaller one. I say make a new part number and only change half. You can always change more later.

Post subject: Slug Size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Found my traveler slug & ball. Measuring with my dial caliper (micrometer is at work) the ball measures .712 to .718 in. The slug measures .700 to .712 in. :shock: This is after two seasons or about a dozen days sailing.

Looks to me like its time for a new set given the .006 & .012 difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just in case somebody comes looking at this older thread now- in a different similar thread, Hobie says the bigger ball and or cylinders are now the standard, and you can get the assembly to fit by simply putting the balls with their posts in the track first- and then slide them into the traveler and put in the cotter pins.

Also, people are talking about the traveler coming out of the track. Is mine the only Hobie 18 with a a stainless-steel 'wedge' assembly that tightens into the track near the end and stops this from happening??????

Also- as others have said- simply tie a stopper knot or make your traveler only as long as needed to not let the traveler go to the edge!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Cylinders only. No balls... That sounds a bit funny though! :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never heard of a stopper wedge for blocking the opening - sounds like something custom. I’ve always used a knot in the traveler control line to keep the car from going to the end of the track.

Double cylinders on the car seem to work best. The balls don’t really roll anyway. Spray the track with silicone before hitting the water and it should work fine.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We use double traveller cars on the boats down under. It’s class legal and we have a wider top plate and a joining bar to tie the two cars together. We then use four cylinders (no balls) and it spreads the load and runs very smoothly.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/