Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Question #1: Yes, they are transferable from boat to boat.

Question #2: No, there are no modifications to the hulls required to mount "Magnum" wings on a H18. "Formular/SX" wings require the mounting of a reinforcing strut near the sterns (easy job) to the gunwale. BUT .... the mounting hardware for either type/style of wings needs to be installed in the front and rear crossbars .... at the very minimum you will need to remove the tramp .... through I have found it easier (in the long run) to just remove the crossbars completely from the hulls, remove the endcaps and slide the required hardware in through the ends of the crossbars ....

Question #3: Yes, they fold up/in for trailering. The large tube is connected to a stud on the inboard of the hull located in the crossbar that acts as a pivot point allowing the wing to be "flipped" up and in-board when the clevis pin is removed from where the support strut rests on the end of the crossbars .... there's a metal "tab/bracket" you install there when you install the outboard "crossbar bolts" that the clevis pin holds the support strut to. (Note: Instead of a 1/4" dia clevis pin, I use a 1/4"X 20 countersunk SS Bolt w/ a nyloc nut ... nut to the "inboard" side ... Why countersunk??? It centers the head of the bolt in the slightly oversized bracket hole -- reducing any movement ... while bolting the wings "down" takes longer when rigging, it locks the wings in place firmly .....)

I hope these answers help .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks very much for your most informative response! I will follow your advice...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my H-16 when I was 51 and I am still sailing the same boat at age 76. I just started thinking about looking for an H-18 and found this thread. My concern is how difficult it is to raise the mast alone on an 18. I do it pretty easily on my 16 now. I sail solo most of the time but took out a neighbor who wants to learn to sail and he weighs 300 lbs. It got me thinking about those big buoyant hulls on the 18. I am in NC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You loose a little bit of the freedom a 16 gives you. I could do everything regarding the 16 on my own. Now creaky at 51 with an 18, I find it hard to raise the mast on my own (without the pole/pulley system), Harder to pull on shore, harder to maneuver in wind near shore, etc. However, I find help and/or get it done and wouldn't go back to a 16 for anything! There is a nice video on this site regarding the 18 set up (solo).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 45 in canada, always wanted a boat with wings for the comfort and the thrill of trapezing from further out over the water. Just purchased a 2001 Hobie 18SX with wings, I found it locally after searching everywhere for one, it was 200 yards up the beach from where mine was parked. The deal was amazing, a few small udjustments and it will be good, it really is too bad our season here is so short, by October 1 the water temp could be at 50 or lower. But none the less I now have my 18 with wings and will sail more comfortable with my family and friends. Have to decide if I want to keep my 88 Hobie 16, depends if the wife wants a new sled or not!

Marty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Being 53 and also making the transition from the H16 to the 18, there's no doubt the 18 is a more complicated and heavier boat (including the mast). I'm a big guy in decent shape but my back was at it's limit when it came to lifting the mast! I devised a device made mostly of bungee that ties off to each wing and clips to one of the trapeze wires on each side and keeps the mast centered while I crank it up using the winch mounted on the trailer mast support. It still takes two people to accomplish because the mast must be raised high enough initially to raise the mast high enough for the raising line (I use the other two trapeze wires for this) to have enough angle for the winch to take over. Standing on the ground behind the rear crossbar, I use a homemade yoke mounted on a garden tool handle to do the initial raise. With the addition of a trailer mounted remote operated electric winch (somebody posted some pics of such a system not to long ago on this setup), it could easily be done singlehandidly. I like the fact that I don't have to climb on the tramp to raise the mast anymore. IMHO, this puts un-needed stresses on your tramp and the hulls especially if you don't have cradles installed.

If anybody is interested in my device, I will post a better description and some pictures. You must have wings for my system to work though.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Funny how most everyone is between 50-60, but mostly in the lower 50's. The other topic about where are all the Hobie sailors seems to have a connection. I am 46. I picked up windsurfing in high school and really got addicted to the high wind during college. I mentioned in that post that I used to see 10-20 Hobies on the beach every weekend. (You all) :D I picked up windsurfing because at the time I could not afford a Hobie being a young college student but always envied the boats. We sailed a Tornado in the late '80's in the under 15mph winds, but really never had much time for the lighter winds as the strong storms on a windsurfer are still the best.

I think young sailors are few and most of the remaining sailors sail monoslugs. Hobie sailors are a different breed and it shows by the ages that we all are from a particular generation and we cannot figure out why the young or other sailors are too stupid to pick up the sport.

Well said by The Who;
People try to put us d-down
Just because we get around
Things they do look awful c-c-cold
I hope I die before I get old
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

They don't know what they are missing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brian you are correct. That pattern is called "white prism". There is also a yellow prism. My 89 MAG came new with white prism. I also have a set of yellow prism. They both look great with my yellow tramp and wing tramps. Sail On!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 49 this month and will be racing this weekend on Lake Murray. Get a cat this year or you will be one year older when you do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

spesce wrote:
Funny how most everyone is between 50-60, but mostly in the lower 50's. ...

here's another blast from the (recent) past
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5027
talkin' 'bout my ge-ge-ge-generation...bay-bay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cola H18 wrote:
I am 49 this month and will be racing this weekend on Lake Murray. Get a cat this year or you will be one year older when you do.

:D 8)

sail fast this weekend Cola!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

55 with a H18 Magnum. The wings make for a much easier ride as either a bench or a backrest. So a long day on the boat is easier on the body. One thing I never hear people talk about on this form is how the wings FB dish out a good beating when you flip. I probably went over 10-15 times this season and definetly hit some metal more than once. Why over so often? Because it's fun and my crew and I like righting the boat. Well, many of my crew. Somedays it's flip and die out there so we keep it flat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

me from 1965 on a 1997 Hobie 18 Formula..... excellent combination!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

52? Youngster! (I'm of, shall we say, social security age...)
I had a couple of Hobie 17s when my kids were little, 20-some years ago. Now I've got a Getaway, and it's great with kids, grandkids, friends, etc.
You definitely want the wings if you can get them. They increase your real estate, and make for dryer and more comfortable sailing.
I've never sailed an 18, but I would say for family sailing, you need at least the 18. I think the Getaway would be too slow for you (it's not slow, exactly, but it definitely FEELS slower than my old H-17s). H-18s with wings are fairly easy to come by.
You might consider a Hobie 20 if you can find one. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a H-20 with custom made wings that I had an opportunity to buy some time ago.
Yeah, the 21's look pretty cool too. And they come on the market occasionally.
OK, so why is age a concern? Sailing with your wife and a couple of largish kids means you'll be able to right it. If you're worried about stepping the mast, get a gin pole kit. I made one for my 17, and purchased the Mast Stepper III for my Getaway; they work great!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisDep wrote:
I am 52 and ready to have fun sailing a cat. From deep sea cruising to dinghies and some racing, including on a H16, I have a solid background in sailing. I have not sailed a whole lot in the last 5-7 years. I live in SC and am getting ready to join a sailing club on the lake. I am interested in buying a used H18. I have a wife, 42 with very limited experience and 2 daughters, 16 and 7. I enjoyed the H16 years ago but found the boat somewhat limited and too small. I would like to believe that a H18 would be a better fit and would possibly consider a H21. [size=150]My goal is to go fast and to have fun but also be able to share with my family [/size]without running into too much harsh conditions. I may also go racing from time to time. Can you please help me deciding which cat would be better and let me know if I am out of my mind and be better off buying a longchair. Assuming I am not crazy, please let me know if wings would have a substantial benefit as far as handling of the boat. Thank you all.
Christian

Hello Christian, watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rfKUE675Y
Age is a frame of mind! See below a picture of fleet 20 member Mark at Woodward in his rocking chair, he's well past his 50's.

Stepping a mast on a 18 is more difficult than a 16, Stepping a mast on a 21 is even more difficult. To me the 18 sounds like the best all around size for your situation. Family sailing, Solo sailing, Occasional race. The 21 is a great on the water but a beast to move around the beach.
As far as finding a boat search out your nearest Hobie fleet. Contact the commodore and see if any members are selling their boats. Usually they will give you a better deal if you will join the fleet and its a way to learn about rigging and handling of the different models.
I have owned and raced 18's for the last 10 years, They are a great family boat and very versatile, you can take them out for a casual sail or conditions permitting wave jumping. All around it is the best family platform!!!