Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My friend is just putting together his 18 magnum with a extra long mast.
How do you fix a furler if it doesnt spring back?
Tips on hooking and unhooking?
How do you set your righting system?
How important is the downhaul? I have the 2:1 and its crap it seems.

First time we tryed to raise the mast we tryed pushing it forward and raising back because thats what the previous owner said to do. It fell sidesways onto a soft bush so we tryed it sideways and got it until it came back down onto another bush XD after that we saw the cup how it came out and eurika it worked! we got it up and we rigged everything. After dinner we couldnt get it unhooked so we decided to take it down with the sail being held sideways.

i unhooked the forestay and tryed to lower it down when the trailer part i was standing on broke and i slipped off and ended dropping the mast again onto a bush on a balcony! Climbed up and unhooked the sail than pulled it down. Also we found out the mast had 100 pounds of water in it XD we ended up breaking the mast cup on that last drop so no sailing tommorrow :(
Anyways it was a good day, minus the breaks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure exactly what you're doing to step the mast, but it sure doesn't sound right. Connect the two side stays, slide the mast back and pin the hinge at the base of the mast to the mast step on the front crossbar, raise the mast and then have your helper pin the forestay to the bridles- that's all there is to it. Dropping the mast is a bad thing.

For your other questions- the furler is not supposed to spring back. There is no spring involved. You pull the furler line to furl the jib, you pull the jib sheet to unfurl the jib.

Tips on hooking and un-hooking what?

On my boat, the righting system is just a piece of thick line about 15feet long tied to the dolphin striker. If we flip, we throw it over the upper hull and hang out.

Downhaul is quite important and 2:1 isn't enough. I would go with between 4:1 and 6:1. You need to be able to easily adjust it through it's full range for optimum performance.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hooking and unhooking the mainsail.
We ended up raising it the right way.
@furler that makes sense now!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Furler...

The sail needs to be furled when the line is fully out of the drum. Pull the sail out and the rotation winds the line into the drum. Then pull the furler line to unwind the drum and furl the jib. See-saw kinda thing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)