Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Was wondering what everybodies preference was on tramps assuming you don't care about remaining "class legal". I currently have an aftermarket mesh tramp. I like the look of the mesh but don't necessarily care to be doused everytime a wave slaps the bottom. I realize the mesh tramps allow some air to pass through them which may prevent some capsizes but I question how much?

Has anybody had any luck with any of the aftermarket tramps out there? Are there any after market tramps that are heat welded? Are the OEM tramps that much higher quality to warrent the extra cost? What is everybodies preference between mesh or vinly?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

T. Hundley
H18M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good questions. I, too, sail recreationally and have been on both mesh and solid tramps and have found the choice to be personal preference and sailing conditions. Sailing in colder water I like the solid tramp to keep a little drier and warmer, while in warm water the occasional dousing is welcome relief from the heat. From Hobie, mesh comes in four colors, vinyl only in white, and I haven't seen an aftermarket vinyl tramp yet and aftermarket colors are usually limited to either black or blue. Even if money or durability was not an issue I prefer the solid tramp because it feels smoother on soft skin and waves/spray don't pass through causing a distraction. Some claim that mesh allows sand to easily pass through, but I haven't found sand to be much of a problem on solid tramps.

I can't speak for the rest of your concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am on my second Hobie. It has the original tramp and I am finally going to replace it this season. That's over 20 years for one tramp. My old H16's tramp lasted over 20 years. They were both the solid vinyl.

I agree with Skipshop about the solid being much nicer in the cooler water. I sailed mostly in the waters off of MA north of Cape Cod. The water is cold up there for most of the year. It might get to about 60 in August. As for sand, I have no issues with it. I am just careful about rinsing my feet off before I get on the tramp. I can't say anything for sure about the windage issue you brought up. I wouldn't think you would reduce the windage enough to prevent a capsize by using the mesh tramp.

The heat welding is a big plus. I would say spend the ~$400. Over 20 years it comes to $20/year for the expensive tramp. I have seen the aftermarket tramps last between 5-10 years.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Trampoline questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One other question I forgot to ask was if any of you are using the one piece "bias-cut" tramps that are available? If there is no lacing in the middle of these tramps, how are they tightened from side to side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know how they're tightened, but folks on this forum have talked about it already. One benefit of the one piece is that the main sheet doesn't fall through middle lacing while sailing, or your foot while stepping the mast. But the benefit of having the traditional three piece tramp is that while flying a hull but not trapped out, you have a place to put your foot to keep from sliding to leeward.

Post subject: Tramp
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a mesh tramp and like it vs the vinyl tramp that I had on my 16. With that said I will buy a Hobie tramp to replace the existing one and aftermarket tramps for my wings. IMHO the Hobie tramps will last longer than the aftermarket tramps due to the heat welding and stiching.

I also need to keep the boat class legal for Hobie regattas.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: Tramps
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Don't forget to check the price of the standard Hobie vinyl tramps too. They are white and priced the same as most of the aftermarket ones, are class legal, durable and have a one year warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thundley wrote:
Was wondering what everybodies preference was on tramps assuming you don't care about remaining "class legal". I currently have an aftermarket mesh tramp. I like the look of the mesh but don't necessarily care to be doused everytime a wave slaps the bottom. I realize the mesh tramps allow some air to pass through them which may prevent some capsizes but I question how much?

Has anybody had any luck with any of the aftermarket tramps out there? Are there any after market tramps that are heat welded? Are the OEM tramps that much higher quality to warrent the extra cost? What is everybodies preference between mesh or vinly?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

T. Hundley
H18M

In my opinion the mesh tramps leave most aftermarket ones for dead. On most of the after market ones I have seen the stitching and eyelets pull out after only a year or so.

The mesh ones are excellent quality, very durable and look great. I have never had a problem with water splashing thru them (although I'm sure it can happen) and IMHO there would be minimal wind getting thru (the little amount of wind leakage won't stop you from a swim if you are that close). The only down side is make sure that you have a tarp or some sort of cover over your boat when you aren't sailing it as they don't stand up to the sun's uv rays very wll and go a tad white after about 2.5 years (in Australia anyway)

Tiger Mike

Post subject: Mesh vs Vinly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mike,

Are you referring to the OEM mesh tramps?

Tom

Post subject: Re: Mesh vs Vinly
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thundley wrote:
Mike,

Are you referring to the OEM mesh tramps?

Tom

Yes.

Tiger Mike