Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flumpmaster wrote:
I would recommend you fit a 4:1 with 2:1 cascade. This gives 8:1 mechanical advantage with fewer blocks than a straight 8:1 system. A lot of Hobie 20's use this system in my area (Texas),

Stick with me here 'cause I don't have a camera handy and this can be hard to describe in words...

Fit a double block (e.g. Harken micro 226) to the grommet on the main using a shackle.

Tie some thin line (3/16") to the end of a single block (e.g. harken micro 224). A couple of feet should be ample. Repeat this on a second block. So you now have two blocks, each with a piece of line 2ft long tied to then (bowlines work well).

Thread each line from the back of the boat through one of the pulleys on the double block on the bottom of the main. Pull the lines until the single blocks are up against the double.

Then thread the lines inside the mast rotator to a likely looking spot about 6-8" up from the base of the mast on each side. No magic in choosing the spot - just make sure the angle on the line from the double block looks good and it isn't rubbing on anything. Once you have marked your spot on each side fit a suitable jam cleat (I used self tapping screws and drilled a pilot hole first).

Jam the lines through the cam cleats on each side and tie the tails together at the front of the mast (just in case the cleats were to slip). Trim the excess line to suit.

Now mount your self a couple of pivoting exit cams (e.g. Harken 291) on either side of the mast a few inches up from the base. Fit a single block (e.g. harken micro 224) on the back of the mast down low. I think I rigged some kind of bracket off the pin that secures the pulley for the mast halyard at the base and then tied my single block off to it.

Now thread your down haul line through your pivoting exit cam, up to the single block which is jammed up against the double on the main, down to the single block at the base of the mast, back up to the other single block at the main and down the the other pivoting exit cam. Viola - a kick ass down haul with very little friction. You can leave the down haul lined long enough to tie it to your trap wire or to the end of the cross bar - letting the crew play the down haul while out on the wire.

If you want to cut down on the cost then just use jam cleats instead of the pivoting exit cams (you may have jam cleats in this position already).

If I get time I'll take some pictures of this set-up.

Chris.[/url]
from our discussions in '05
this systems works well because of congestion due to the boom and rotator arm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks to all for all the tips.
Cork Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was looking through the 18 rules and noticed in the 18SX section that they can carry a Spiniker. (Page 25)

14. SPINNAKERS (THIRD SAILS) AND SPINNAKER
POLES
One spinnaker may be carried on board and
used on any point of sail. The spinnaker must
be HOBIE CAT CO. supplied as noted by the
Hobie Cat patch and factory signature on the
sail. Fittings and equipment to fly the sail have
the following limitations;

My question is does anyone race a SX with a spiniker?
With the added minimum boat weight and the wings are the standard 18's equal or faster???
I also noticed in the HCANA Class results that they do not list a 18SX as a class but they do list the Hobie 18M as a class.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Racing with a spinaker sound like fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reading through the rules, yes there are a number of different subset classes of the Hobie 18 - SE, Magnum, SX, & Formula. In reality though, there is only one active class and that is the SE (standard) 18. For better or worse, in the mid '80s thru '90s, Hobie introduced a bunch of variations of the standard 18 and the subsequent creation of multiple classes in conjunction with the introduction of the Hobie 21, Hobie 20, and Hobie 17 Sport all resulted in the division and splintering of the 18 fleet as a whole. None of the other 18 classes took off.

So to answer your question, yes, you can technically race in the SX 18 class with a spinnaker, but you will almost certainly be the only one racing. If you want to fleet race on an 18, it will have to be a standard 18. (The reason the SX 18 is not listed on the HCA-NA site is because there is no one racing them.)

If you want to fleet race with a spinnaker, you should look at either an F16 or an F18. Of course you also have the option of racing handicapped and running whatever you want.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you race an SX you race open, period! Unless you downsize the rig you can't race it as a standard H18 SE. By rights even if you changed the rig it is still a SX. The SX with spin is an open class dominator!! You can't be beat unless you sail very poorly. The SX number is a joke, the boat is quicker then the SE with good sails. Add the spin and its almost at F18 speed, the SX gets a spin for no penalty. My H18 with SX mast, squaretop main, self-tacking jib and F18 spin, taking all the penaltys, can almost correct out over the F18s. If only I had high aspect daggers and a solid mast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

You can mount the pivoting exit blocks too low ..... especially if you have Magnum Wings .... you need a little hieght/room to allow for "whipping" the downhaul line out of the cam cleets to release the downhaul/cunningham ....

I think mine are mounted just below half the distance from the boom "gooseneck" to the mast base since I have Magnum wings .... but still need to be able to cleat the downhaul when racing W/O the Magnum Wings. I tie my downhaul off to either my side stays ... crew's trapeze ... or to the footstrap on the outside of my Magnum Wings .... depending on how I have the boat rigged and my crew for that particular race .....

Take the time to lay-out the angles that the line runs/feeds at .... my pivoting exit blocks are mounted at a slight angle from the vertical so the line feeds directly/straight into the exit block when it leaves the triple block I tie/mount under the mainsail ....

Use the Harkin Pivoting Exit Blocks in the SS housing .... not the others w/ a plastic frame .... I've seen the plastic ones broken off the mast when they somehow got stepped on during a capsize ... or maybe the UV's degraded them after several seasons in the sun .... either way they broke off.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have default 1:2 with v-cleats. I want to use cunningham with 1:4 ratio or more. Can anybody post there photo of cunningham? I am interest for mounting on mast - where, how etc. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like we need some 'on the water' sharing time....

what's great for everyone to learn to sail better and faster is to attend a North American Championships.... and there's a central one coming in June, Ocean Springs Mississippi... (well, central for most of you, it's a 2800mi one way road trip for me, however, i'll be there... will you??)
You can see all the class legal changes, talk to people who are 'in the know' and at the top of the game...
you'll get lots of rigging help and advice (whether you want it or not sometimes! :wink: )
There are no prerequirments to enter, other that you own a class legal H18 (comptip required), any level of skill is accepted... oh yea, be prepared to come and have a good time!

hope to see you all there!!

Paul Evenden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ALL THESE GREAT IDEAS OF GOIN FASTER..HELL BY THE TIME I WALK DOWN THE STREET AND RAISE MY SAILS I'D FORGET MOST OF THEM....SAILED HOBIES FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND STILL HOLDIN ON....THATS THE HARD PART FOR ME...PAUL HAS THE RIGHT IDEA....GET A GROUP OF 18'S ON THE BEACH AT THE SAME TIME WITH SOME OLD SALTS AND I PROMISE YOU WILL LEAVE WITH SOME GOOD SCOOP.....PAUL DON"T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS WHEN YOU LEAVE B.C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

musicman wrote:
Sounds like we need some 'on the water' sharing time....

How about October 21, 2012 at Lake Mojave, NV. Cottonwood Cove Resort????

Corkguy 18's

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We'll be there in force!
I am bringing 3 H18's down from BC, and possibly 1 17 from Seattle.....

looks like a good turn out for the event. At last check, more 18's than 17's! Now that's a record!

Paul

PS, the mississippi trip last year went great!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hell I wish we had your boat numbers here in SA. You are lucky (extremely) for a major event if 5 H18's pitch. :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here on the SE coast you are lucky to have 2 H18s at any event. Seems the midwest and west coast have more 18s than anywhere else in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
Here on the SE coast you are lucky to have 2 H18s at any event. Seems the midwest and west coast have more 18s than anywhere else in the world.
Yes, we're lucky that way, but don't let the numbers fool you about the competition. The Nor. Cal. 18 class is a bunch of old, over-weight, boozers who have difficulty dredging up consistent crew. We have as much fun as we can with our clothes on, but for more competition the 16, 20, and F18 class is the boat for the next level around here.

Lately Cork Guy and another fellow on the Central Coast have been beating the bushes and rehabbing old boats to get more 18s on the water and it's slowly paying off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:-)

Yea, but look who is sailing 18's in the Nationals this year!!!!!

There is at least 5 16A fleeters joining us on 18s'. No shlep rocks from Div 3.

Hmmmm, I guess i need to lose a few pounds and watch who I am drinking around. ;-)

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next