Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Surfcitysailing.com doesnt work. I was wondering where i can find a kit and how much they are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm.....looks like Jeremy sold the shop :cry: He was instrumental in helping me set my spin up and furnishing all of the hardware needed. What we used was a standard Hobie Tiger spin pole and bag including all mounting hardware. Cleats and blocks are a matter of choice as several types can be used. You should be able to obtain all of the gear with the help of your nearest Hobie dealer or possibly Murrays Marine. I can't remember where Jeremy had my spin made but when I need a new one, I will be talking to Whirlwind sails in San Diego. Once you get the pole and mast tang mounted, you can provide the measurements of the luff and the foot to whoever you decide to cut your sail.

Here is the basic installation video Jeremy posted on YouTube which features my boat. I will be glad to answer any of your questions in regards to installation and/or rigging. You can email me at thundley at bak dot rr dot com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmckx-DuQt0

Keep in mind that if you go brand new on everything you can expect to spend more than the boat might be worth. I think I spent about $2500 several years ago. Was well worth it to me. I probably would have sold the boat by now if it weren't for the added thrill of the spinnaker! Does increase setup time significantly though!

Hope this helps.

Tom
1988 H18M (Windraider)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the offer tom. I just got a killer deal on an 18 with wings that is in better condition than the 18 i just reconditioned last summer. So I'm going to get a flat top main and jib from whirlwind soon, so I'm looking into getting a matching spin at the same time. I'll keep researching.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did my spinnaker cheap, $500 new, $1,000 for the whole set-up but I have only used it 2 times in many years. That is mainly due to the time set-up. I have a end pole snuffer, solid alum mast. Rigging isn't anything special. I did the whole system myself.

You can contact me for additional information.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I see pictures of the many new boats running spinnakers I often think they might give me something new to play with, after 30 years of sailing 18's. The addition of the SX wings several years ago really made it a different boat. But to keep my 1990 unit as well preserved as possible, I break it down, trailer it home every day, and put it back in the boathouse I built specifically for it, thinking UV exposure is my biggest enemy. I see the mention of extra rigging time, and that's always been holding me back.

So gentlemen, how long does it take to go from trailer to water on a spin rigged boat that is completely broken down to travel???? I read that some of you guys are traveling to race with these toys, so I know my answer is out there. Some of our fleet boats sit at a drydock area that allows them to be stored mast up. I imagine the rigged forespar would be far more practical on a boat that sat at a marina and was launched and retrieved with cat trax.
Can you even trailer launch a boat with the spar rigged, or do you unload, finish installing the spar etc., and then trax launch as I expect you would need to do.
It all looks like great fun..I am just trying to figure out what I'd be getting into before I start spending money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailed a Nacra F18 last summer with CRAM. It was the first time to regularly rig/derig a spin boat. First 1-2 times it took my son and I about 90minutes to rig. Once we got good it was down to less than an hour. A lot of it depends on how much you break it down. If you take all the lines out of the blocks, etc. it could take much longer.

Trailer launching would be a challenge, with the spinnaker pole surely conflicting with the trailer. Our first step was always to get it off the trailer and on beach wheels and chocks. Much easier to step the mast when the boat is closer to the ground.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I too break my boat down completely for trailering, probably more than most sailors. Since I trailer my boat a couple of hours from my house to the coast, I always remove the rudders to reduce wear and tear on the grundeons and I also completely remove the shrouds from the mast since my mast is hung from the ceiling of my garage above the boat (boat won't fit in the garage with the mast on the trailer). I also store my spinnaker folded up neatly in a bag so before heading out I have to load the spin into the retreiving bag which takes about 15 minutes. About 90 minutes is about as best that I can do from arrival at the launch ramp to boat in the water ready to sail.

I could probably save approximately 20 minutes or so if I left the rudders and the shrouds attached. Depending on whether I'm ramp launching or beach launching, sometimes I'm forced to rig the spin while it's still on the trailer (ramp launching) so I added a hinge to the forward mast yoke that allows me to un-pin it and swing it down out of the way so that I can rig the spin pole.

3 hours of setup and takedown does cut into the day significantly so I either arrive very early or drive over the night before, set the boat up and then sleep on the tramp leaving me only with putting the boat in the water and raising the main before I'm ready to go. Obviously, any chance I can take to do a multi-day trip and leave my boat setup on the beach is a plus.

The setup time is definitly daunting but well worth it to me! The additional dynamics of spinnaker sailing is very exhilirating and if you're a mechanical type like me, I actually enjoy the setup process.

Tom
1988 H18M (Windraider)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I run about an hour rigging the N20, maybe averaging a little more than that on a typical regatta because I am in less of a hurry with beer in hand. I can rig it faster but more of the time that I rig it I change the set-up a little bit or replace some parts because the boat seems to eat bullet blocks for breakfast.

My spin hobie 18 was less easy to rig though, and took me the same amount of time.

2010 AHPC C2 #218