Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am negotiating with an individual about the possibility of purchasing his H18. It looks like a solid boat. We're just sorting out the price right now.

During negotiations, he mentioned that his user's manual says that his boat IS a H18SX, however, he said he doesn't have wings for it. Short of asking him to take a tape measure to the mast ... is there way to confirm which model of 18 we're talking about from the sail number?

15918 is the sail number as reported by the seller.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably an 18 SE. I think all the 18SXs had three or four digit sail numbers. Measuring the length of the mast would be the way to know for sure. I don't think measuring the mast length would be out of line. The other way to tell is the sail material. Assuming they are stock hobie sails, then if they are vertical cut mylar they are SX sails. If they are horizontal cut dacron, then they are SE sails.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What srm said... I'm pretty sure all the fleet of SX's were 3 digit numbers... and yes, vertical cut.

Without the wings, I would probably hope for it to be the SE (standard) version...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mylar sail = sx

i was looking at a h18 a while back that had a sail number 15509 and it was indeed a regular h18. The sail was bought around 98'.

From the sounds of it, it is either a newish boat, or the sail has been replaced. Sounds like it might have been cared for if so...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sail is without a doubt a SE sail.

If it is indeed a SX mast, you would need to get an SE mast to fit the sail properly, or get a SX sail and a set of wings for it to be a true SX.

Odds are the boat is a SE.

Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know this is a OLD thread - but anyone have any idea (Matt)? what sail this is? 3 digit number.
I got it with a boat the owner called a SX (but I had a 2000SX and wasn't the same).

I think it was a H18 someone put wings on and he said it was a sx mast. But I measured it and I don't think so.
Anyway - wondering on the sails SX or ????

Ron in MI.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ooooh, Ron - you ended up with a "Formula" sail from the early '90s. Very rare - because they fall apart quickly! :D

Sail Pattern #120 on the 16:

Seriously, they look cool, but the clear panels stretch at a different rate from the Dacron making the sail shape pretty much caca.

I'm pretty sure they're for a standard 18, but you'd have to measure them to be sure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard H18 sail. On the SX sails, the first two battens (from the bottom) are only about a foot apart. SX sails are also vertical cut mylar.

As Matt said, it is a "Formula" sail. Just an 18 sail with a unique pattern/layout, nothing more.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Ooooh, Ron - you ended up with a "Formula" sail from the early '90s. Very rare - because they fall apart quickly! :D

Yep. My SX main sail was fine during a regatta, and by the end of the day the tired Mylar gave up and delaminated almost entirely.

My advice is to use that sail until it delaminates, then get a Dacron replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope. Doesn't look anything like a Formula sail. I got a Formula, they look like this:

What you got is a "standard" Sail from the Formula1 special edition. Everything to normal specs, no SX or Formula
By the way: you can fit quite a lot of Hobie and non-Hobie sails to the longer SX (Formula) mast.

Last edited by Stefan S on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stefan S wrote:
Nope. Doesn't look anything like a Formula sail. I got a Formula, they look like this: https://flic.kr/p/L6UfwF follow the link and click on the picture for full size. What you got is a "standard" Sail from the Formula1 special edition. Everything to normal specs, no SX or Formula

To avoid confusion, I think Stefan is saying that the sail is not an SX sail (as the Hobie 18SX is sometimes referred to as a "formula" or "F18" boat). The sail/color pattern was named "Formula" by Hobie cat, but it is a standard Hobie 18SE sail, for a 28' mast rather than the longer 29'-6" SX mast.

Stefan S wrote:
By the way: you can fit quite a lot of Hobie and non-Hobie sails to the longer SX (Formula) mast.

Really? Are you talking about the Tiger/WildCat sails, or do Prindle and Nacra make a few sails for the same length mast? Sails are usually cut specific to the boat that they were designed for, so for an H18SX that would mean it's cut specifically to account for the mast bend with a comp tip, whereas a sail for a boat with a solid aluminum mast would be cut differently and a sail for a boat with a carbon fiber mast would be cut different still. But if you're just looking for a usable sail for cheap, I could see grabbing one of the others. I suppose a higher aspect ratio sail might help improve performance, even if it's not cut right for your mast.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

Last edited by SabresfortheCup on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SabresfortheCup wrote:
Really? ... I suppose a higher aspect ratio sail might help improve performance, even if it's not cut right for your mast.

Well this is a forum linked to the Hobie Cat company and I am a happy and proud owner of a Hobie Cat. I am not sure that we should discuss third party or "aftermarket" parts manufacturers here. But it seems that the Tiger, the HC 18 Formula and the Dart Hawk18 can swap their main sails; at least a number of sailmakers here in Europe are positive about that.

I will not post a link to any non-Hobie sailmaker without an "official" OK from the board admins here.

Last edited by Stefan S on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:05 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's pretty well documented that a Tiger or other F-18 sail is pretty much a straight up replacement for on an 18SX or Formula mast. You need to eliminate the hook at the top of the sail, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See below original 1991 Hobie 18 SX main sail.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
It's pretty well documented that a Tiger or other F-18 sail is pretty much a straight up replacement for on an 18SX or Formula mast. You need to eliminate the hook at the top of the sail, but that's about it.

As Mat stated you can easily add a Tiger main sail to a H18 SX by replacing the hook at the top of the Tiger sail with a H18 Headboard. I did no trimming so I can switch it back for use again on a Tiger.