Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll be ready to re-install my tramp tracks on my restored H18 hulls in a couple of weeks, and was considering using small stainless steel bolts rather than the stock rivets and washers. I've seen rivets get loose over time, and you have to drill them out to fix the problem. Bolts seem like a better idea, easy to install, easy to replace, easy to tighten. I've already checked and there is plenty of clearance for round-head, phillips bolts on the top and lock-nuts underneath. Does anyone have some good reasons why I shouldn't use the bolts?

Thanks,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use rivets. They're easier to install and the head is lower profile than a machine screw head. Also keep in mind that the fasteners that hold on the tramp tracks also hold on the jib tracks, and machine screws / bolt heads will interfere with the jib car's ability to slide in the jib tracks, so I suspect they won't work.

Yea, the rivets may loosen slighty over time, but it's not a problem and doesn't effect performance. Once you install the tramp and tighten it up, there will be very little movement of the tramp track. Just be sure you use washers on the back side of the rivets.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

...and pre-bend the washers to fit tightly up into the rail lip - this will go a long way toward keeping the rivets tight.