Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Found a boat for my brother in law. '87 SX with wings and all but have some questions as I am unsure about several items.

1. Did Neil Pryde make the sails for the SX, sails bear the Pryde logo?
2. The hulls have dents from being overtightened with ratchet straps on the keel from the rollers, is this an easy repair?
3. There are lots of cracks along the lip at the bows, all on the deck not underneath. What caused these and is it an issue?

There are no soft spots anywhere but the boat was full of water and has lots of condensation inside. I'm weary that it will soon start to delam but currently shows no sign of it. Has the standard cracks at the ports and where the skipper sits but it is not soft. I am not concerned about the sails as the jib is trash and the main is starting to delam. Plan to convert it to an SE mast and run my "cat fever" sails on it. Has epos, all harken hardware, tiller extension and appears to have never been glassed on the keels. Asking $2500 for it which seems fair. Tramps are good and sheets are good but jib sheets are weathered.
The cracks on the deck worry me, I have never seen cracks in this area and none of my other boats have them.
Tell me all you can about the SX

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

interesting find...

price seems high/negotiable considering the cracks, bottoms, and sail conditions...

can't help w/the hulls, but here's a link w/a note from mmiller re: neil pryde:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=535

cheers,
rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Think we are going to pass on this boat. The keel is cracked thru from the straps and soft in several spots. My repair guy came to look at it last night and he thinks a tree fell on the bows. The boat has cracks on the starboard deck right at the edge of the traction from the bow, around the bridle bracket and 3/4 of the way to the crossbar. Too much lift to only be gelcoat cracks. Looks like the lip was knocked down hard. No cracks under the lip. Starboard hull is the worse and the port hull has an obvious repair on the inside edge of the deck and the same cracks on the outer edge, though not as big an area. Estimated $1k to repair and the boat will never look original again, no good way to restore the traction.
In addition one of the wings has had the pivot end nearly pulled off. The rivets held but pulled down hard, looks like someone tried to jerk it off while still bolted to the x-bar. Very odd looking damage that makes no since.

The owner is pretty uninformed and thinks he can part this out and get $2500 for it, I seriously doubt it given the damage. I may offer him $1k for it and do the repairs but cant see giving him more than that. And it is a '89 SX.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a fan of buying work, and in this case you'll also be stuck with an SX mast. If it's an 18 you want then keep looking, and if you want wings then make an offer.