Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey all,
so some friends and I are going to take a camping trip to Holland Michigan (we're in Colorado). We are bringing my H18 along, and I'm just wondering if ya'll have any tips for sailing on Lake michigan, I've heard some suggestions that it's riskier than open ocean due to fast weather shifts, or whatever that happens up there. Not that we don't get that in CO already... haha

anyway I'm just looking for some advice / facts that would suggest not sailing lake michigan, and going for a smaller lake instead (specifically safety).

If it were up to me I'd just go, but, other members of the party wanted to get some more thoughts on the Big lake.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I grew up in Holland. I keep my 18 in Muskegon now as I couldn't find a beach to keep it on all summer.

You can't put the boat directly in Lake MI in the Holland area. You will have to sail out the channel from Lake Macatawa. Two ramps are available.

Contact me offline at my e-mail address for additional information.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

howd your trip go ? i have family in loveland /ft.collins ...lived there for a while too. my brp has a h 16 ,usually @boyd lake... he's pulled it back to Mi. for a vac too! our place is in Alpena.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cannot answer regarding sailing your boat. I sailed larger deep keel boats for 20 years. Tried an inflatable hobie kayak but the twist and stow rudder did not always hold being overpowered by current and surf. There are boats similar to yours on the beach where I stay and they seem fine in moderate winds and seas. But the waves can be close together and erratic. The Lake can change very quickly.

Maybe try Muskegon, Holland or White Lake where you can sail either inland or on the big lake. Lake Charlevoix would be great sailing and is accessible to the Big Lake too.

Nothing compares to this Lake! In 20 years of sailing it, no two times were ever the same. It has every mood imaginable and is addictive.
have fun!

Windlass11