Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a clew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is kind of a continuation of the furler cleat discussion below.

A few weeks ago we set up to go out in heavy winds and ended up scrubbing. The cleat would not keep the jib securely furled and the clew got batted around against the mast (and me) pretty severely. When we got out on the water this weekend I noticed that the jib was hanging on the mast every time we tacked. The cause was that the clew was separating, probably from damaged sustained in the high winds. I use pigtails and the pigtail rope probably held it together enough to prevent further damage.

The clew appears to be two pieces of anodized aluminum on either side of the jib held together by six pop rivets. several of the rivets were gone and a couple were just barely still holding.

So if I drill out the rivets and replace them is that all there is to the repair. Are the aluminum plates glued to the sailcloth as well? If so with what? What size rivets? The holes are 1/8 x I'm guessing 1/4?

Post subject: Re: Need a clew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can get a replacement kit (part # 12240000) from a Hobie dealer - the rivets used are brass, and are 1/8 x 5/16"
for help call toll free 1800hobie49

Post subject: Re: Need a clew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a similar thing happen on my beach boat. The jib snorkel cover blew apart in a strong nor'easter and allowed the jib to partially unfurl and flog for several hours. It flogged so hard that the stainless steel jib clew shackle wore through the aluminum clew plates. I sent the jib to my sail repair guy and he reinforced the clew with 2" wide webbing and then installed a heavy grommet in place of the aluminum plates.

In any case, you can certainly replace the aluninum plates, but you may need to have the sail cloth reinforced first if it was damaged.

sm