Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze rigging help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a new H18 owner and need assistance with the trapeze system. I would like to purchase new shockcord for each of the four trapeze locations as the boat did not come with any.

The parts manual does not give specific lengths for each shockcord. I have read that each shockcord is 7 foot in length for the 18. This seems long to me as I assume it connects to the side of each hull directly below the handles. Am I correct in this assumption? Is there a proper length that works best or is this a trial and error thing?

Thank you for your assistance.

t-bone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This seems to be a good guide for line lengths and diameters.

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2177

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey T-bone,

Yup, 7 feet sounds right. The shockcord doesn't actually attach directly beneath the handles - they pass through eyelets directly beneath the handles, then run along the side of the pontoon under the hull lip. The crew's trap stretch cord runs forward, skipper's stretch cord runs back. After 7-8 feet or so, they are tied off at eye-straps under the hull lip. Look at your boat, and you'll see the four eyelets right on either side of the shroud anchors. The front eye straps are a few feet back from the bows, and the rears are about a foot in front of each transom.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey T-bone,

Yup, 7 feet sounds right. The shockcord doesn't actually attach directly beneath the handles - they pass through eyelets directly beneath the handles, then run along the side of the pontoon under the hull lip. The crew's trap stretch cord runs forward, skipper's stretch cord runs back. After 7-8 feet or so, they are tied off at eye-straps under the hull lip. Look at your boat, and you'll see the four eyelets right on either side of the shroud anchors. The front eye straps are a few feet back from the bows, and the rears are about a foot in front of each transom.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ended up buying a spool of shock cord, a pair of hog ring pliers and a baggie of hog rings. I then attached the bitter end of the shock cord on the spool to the padeye under the deck lip, unroll it to the padeye, cut off about 6" of extra length, feed the freshly cut end through the padeye and form a loop with the extra length. I like mine to have a small amount of tension when not hooked to the trap so you can't see them dangle below the deck lip.

By having that spool of shock cord with me I can do a quick fix when I snap a line on a good day. I'm only off the water for about 15 minutes.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the help. It now makes sense.

According to the list of required ropes/shockcord for this boat, there is a shockcord listed as "jibsheet tangle preventer". Can anyone tell me the routing of this line?

Once again, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We tied ours to the dolphin striker rod about midway between center and hull, up over (behind) the diamond wires and back down to the striker.

Keeps the jib sheets from getting caught under the base.

The 20 guys attach the bungee at the diamond wires and run straight forward to the jib tack plate at the bridle.

Whatever works for you.