Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib block
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys, finally got our 18 out for a full afternoon of action! Still learning to turn her around (she turns like a scow compared to the 16' monohull I used to sail), but with practice, who knows?we did run into a problem with one of the Jib blocks though. This is the stock (I believe) harken ratcheting style that locks up after you pull the sheet, and then unlocks when you pull it again. The starboard side locked up on us, and I haven't had a chance to attempt a repair. Has anyone any advice to offer on that issue?
Also had a trap line break on us (surprised my 15 year old daughter), is there such a thing as repairing it, it broke right above the adjuster and below the handle.
Thanks for any help, Dave

By the way, I am hesitant to try the trap myself as I am 300lbs, what is your experience as far as weight limits????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to see you on board, however sad to here about your problems. First off about your trap problems if I understand your problem the line that connects the wire trap to the shock cord should be replaced on ALL your traps with a 2'-6" 5/16" dia. spec. line. Also check on how you are tieing off your ends. If however your saying that your wires have failed then replace them ALL.
As for you jib block, if your jaws have locked up you can replace the springs on those puppies remember stainless steel. If the rachet has locked up well try sum marine lub and pray. Sounds like some dirt has spent to much time in your system, time to do some house cleaning. If that fails then start your search, this is not a hard item to get.
Good luck
Harvey :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:52 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
If it is an older boat go ahead and replace all the wires, it sounds to me that the trap wire itself broke, then that all have about the same chance of breaking. The racers around here change there rigging every 2 years, recreational sailors are going 3-4 years max.

I think you are talking about the Oxen block, you pull them they hold the line, pull them again and they release. The older ones are starting to freeze up around here, after all most of them are close to 25 years old, you can try some lube on them to see if that works, also do a search your not the only one that has had this happen. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers