Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everybody,

We are trying to re-start the H-18 class in the Arizona area... To that end we have a line on a 1978 H-18.

Hoping you guys can let me know what to look for in this model year. We have had an 82 model that was rock-solid and sailed well, but not sure of the differences between the years...

What I know so far...

1. crossbars are anodized, but end-caps are not.....
2. main shroud has the 4 screw reinforcement kit...not sure if it was factory or not
3. front crossbar does not have the reinforcement kit....
4. Is this a problem?
https://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.2 ... ff17819718

https://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.2 ... ff17819718

Trying to get a HIN# and more pictures.....

Anything in particular to look for as a weakness in the 1978 model year?

Thanks!

Good to be back (almost!) in the H-18 class!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's nothing that I know of that's particularly "bad" about these boats other than they're old and it's entirely possible this boat is rock solid also. One-design means that all the boats are more or less the same.

Check the hulls for soft spots or cracks, especially under the crossbar anchor points (inboard and outboard). Check all aluminum extrusions for excess corrosion or cracking. The seller probably won't let you do this, but assuming you buy the boat, when you get it home, you should pull off the cross bars and inspect them entirely for cracks.

All standing rigging and shroud anchor pins should be replaced unless the seller can tell you exactly when it was done last. So plan on dropping $500 on that.

If the rudder blades are original from 1978, they're not going to be too good for racing, and if they've been left in the sun for 30+ years, they may well be in need of replacement anyway. Same goes for the trampoline. If it's original and sun-fried, it may need to be replaced. New racing rudders and a tramp could end up costing you about $1K.

A similar situation with the sails. If they're original or old, they may be on their way out, or at least not up to racing level. A new suit of sails is about $1500.

Last, since you're talking about racing, technically to be rules compliant, the mast would need a comptip. A 1978 boat would not have come with one, although the previous owner may have had one installed. In any case, to get a comptip could end up costing several hundred bucks.

So there's no reason a 1978 boat couldn't be totally sailable. The problem is that if you're talking about racing the boat, unless it was raced and maintained by the previous owner, it will likely need a lot of upgrades to be competetive at anything higher than a "casual" racing level.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great to see more 18s sailing again. We have 5 in our fleet now on the California central coast and we are looking for more boats for wanting sailors.

The 78 is the heavyer boat but who cares. most people I saw racing in Ca last year were on heavyer boats. Most of the 84,85,86 light hull boats are gone now.

The 78 had a mast base that was held with only 2 rivets to the cross bar. That's really the only issue I know of.
Please go get that boat and put it in a race and we will see you later this year.

Cheers

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for joining me on this journey! I will post more details and pictures when I get them... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We also saw a 1982 H-18 with wings, new rigging, spin and hardware, galv trailer and new running rigging........ $1500.00 It was puuchased by the first guy who looked at it....Duh... :lol:

Patiently waiting for an H-18 or Tiger near Arizona.......

tap tap tap...... Ok, NOT so patiently waiting... :lol: