Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey everyone,

I just signed up to the site because hopefully this sunday I will be buying a boat(I've been learning to sail for a couple months now and really wanted to get somthing of my own to get more experience and take out on lake ouachita this spring and summer.

I have one question though; something that kind of bothered me when i was talking with the owner, and as i havn't paid for the boat yet I want to ask if the issue he told me about is too serious before i go through with it.

He said that when he bought the boat a few years back there was a crack (4-5 inches) near the top of the mast. He said he sailed it all this time and it never gave him any troubles and he figured it wasnt in a position to bear much weight. but i want to ask the Hobie community- is this going to be a huge problem? any thoughts? (the rest of the boat and the sails look great btw, even though it is an older 18)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If it's an all-aluminum mast, a small crack like that, that close to the top of the mast is probably no big deal - other than the possibility of a leak.

On a Comptip mast, it could be a sign that the mast has been dropped, and that the masthead fitting is working loose. Not an unrepairable problem, but something that should be taken care of before you take the boat out.

We need pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sorry all,

I forgot to mention that this issue had been resolved by MBounds through private message. Thanks for your help.

I got the boat last weekend but have not been able to take it out yet. I'll post a picture when I can. Look for me in central Arkansas!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

can the crack in the aluminum mast be welded? I'd like to know my options, because i know it will probably fill with water if capsized, making righting very difficult. if there is already a thread on this please link me to it.
Thanks.

(Also, I have made several posts on this site that do not show up because they need to be moderated or something? but they aren't showing up at all even after waiting?)