Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Last year I noticed one of the shrouds had a broken strand. Further inspection revealed some surface rust on the other shroud and both bridals so I replaced those items as well as all the pins (I do the pins every year).

This year as I get ready to get back on the water I noticed that the forestay was starting to become "untwisted" at the block so I figured I do the upper and lower. Should I do the block too? Does this assembly come with the pins and the cotters? What about the Halyard? How often should I swap out the adjusters, twists, and the eyes that go through the deck?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JS,
the top block for the jib halyard is put together with pins and cotters. you can re-use it if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... "the eyes that go through the deck" ????

I believe you mean ... the "shroud anchor bolts" ....

YES ... they are VERY important ... and have been known to fail suddenly/unexpectedly .... ( luckly most times the mast just layes over sideways ... but ... I still have a dent in my front crossbar ...) ... depending on how much you sail 1-2yrs to 3-4yrs .... 100days/yr= 1-2 .... 20days/yr= 3-4 ... Carry spares!!!

Adjusters and the twists .... look for worn holes ... if not ... still good ....

The big problem with the "anchor bolts is that they fail suddenly .... but you can usually tell if a piece of standing rigging is getting "shakey" and is about to fail, rust, broken strands etc ... Now, I inspect all my rigging everytime when I "step the mast" .... but now since I don't travel that much and my H18 spends most the season w/ the "stick up" at the YC ... w/ the Magnum Wings bolted down .... I'm thinking, I should turn the boat on it's side and check the "rigging" more often ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11