Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl,

That is one SERIOUS trailer .... and I thought I over spec/build most things I construct ....

You have earned a cold beer out of my cooler .... anytime .... maybe more then one !!!!

There is a guy over on "CatSailor" who has Aluminum Sailboxes built ... Todd? .... he sails a N20 .... lives in North Carolina or maybe Tenn .... crewed w/ "Undecided" years ago .... Jake will know whom I'm referencing ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trey Brown, he currently live in Greenville SC but I think he is moving to Atlanta soon.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did Karl post a picture of his trailer somewhere? Perhaps I was distracted by those SWEET Vipers. :lol:

Karl, I'm guessing you know Eric Witte. He stores his boats here on my beach (although they're rarely there - probably because he's out racing with you).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Correct ... that's his name !!!

A Div11 H18 sailor who is a friend of mine had two boxes built and purchased them from Trey .... very nice boxes .... and w/ the cost of "marine grade" plywood and epoxy, I think they are actually cheaper then if I built another one out of plywood ... (and that doesn't include any $'s for my "labor" time).

They are VERY nice sailboxes ..... combine them w/ a nice "Trailex" trailer .... (or Karl's trailer) .... sweet !!!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know Trey, and he's got some good boxes. If you want one I can sell you one. :wink:

I'm just going to build the box myself I think though. The one that's on there now I built as a temporary box, and it'd probably go another season or two. Probably more if I would've taken care of it. I don't need marine grade plywood either, I'm just going to use 1/4" Baltic Birch over a frame work, then glass the both sides. Slam a couple of thick coats of paint on it, and call it good. Its going to be a beast of a box when its done, but I want to be able to fit five boats worth of stuff in it, plus the beams for two. I'd also like to be able to throw all my gear in there, and leave the box of the pickup as open as possible. It'd be nice to go to a regatta and not have a cab packed full of crap. If I throw a ladder rack on my pickup, I'll be able to fit the hulls for two more boats on it. Full up traveling to the Keys, or a major regatta gets pretty reasonable when four other people are paying the fuel bill, and get to rock-star it in to the regatta.

The tricky bastard is always what to do with the stupid Cat-Trax. Right now three pairs fit on the current box, or can be strapped to the deck.

And Brian, I know Eric pretty well. Talked to him on the phone for a while yesterday about F16 Nationals, and the Alter Cup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Harry,

Sorry for not answering sooner, I just realized that you had asked some questions.

- My wing seat material and my replacement tramp was made by Slo Sail and Canvas at www.slosailandcanvas.com The fit and quality of everything is excellent. I ordered the optional line catcher and storage pouch sewn into the tramp. They gave me a discount since I ordered the complete tramp and wing set.

- The PVC wing holder for trailering is 2" schedule 40 PVC. The center "T" has a piece of the 2" pipe glued inside and fits perfectly over the mast post if you sand the corners off a little. I used the fuzzy side of industrial velcro to pad the inside of the brace points on each side.

Mark