Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought a used boat think I have it together and cleaned up.Now I have to learn what I can on my own and pester those that have experience in my area.Special thanks to jmecky and his video on set up.
[img][IMG]http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac339/judingel/th_014.jpg[/img][/img]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like a sweet boat in really good condition! Should be lots of fun for many years. I can't wait to get mine out of the shed and on the water.

Looking at your other pics on photo-bucket, I found some rigging issues with the Jib (it confused the heck out of me the 1st time).

1) The jib bridle & furler assembly look like they're installed backwards. Simply swap left and right sides so the opening in the furler is facing toward the back of the boat.

2) The bottom grommet of the jib (the tack) should be attached the the shackle that is connected to the forestay adjuster (coming up out of the furler drum). (check page 16 of the hobie assembly manual here: http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/H18&SX_Manual.pdf )

3) The entire jib halyard should be run inside the jib luff zipper pocket (along with the fore-stay). Just tuck it in as you zip it down the luff of the jib.

4) Finally, one end of the jib luff tension line should be attached to the bottom tack shackle, run up through the pulley (block) on the upper half of the halyard and then back down again to the jam cleat hidden inside the jib. (Actually, the instructions mention attaching to the block first, then down to the shackle, back up through block and then down to the jam cleat. This would give you more leverage for jib luff tension)

Honestly, your 1st attempt would probably work "OK", and was very similar to what I did when I was guessing without the instructions and looking at other boats, but I think you'll find the factory intended setup works more smoothly.

Congrats on the new boat! Have lots of fun with her! :D

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah your jib setup needs some tweaking. You should be using both holes on the roller furler. The bottom one to pin the forestay and the upper one for the jib shackle.

You will be glad you got the 18 instead of the the 14, 16, and 17. You can load the boat up and have the options for wings. But now you have a disease, 18itis. You will love a discontinued boat, that has fleets 1/5 the size of the 16.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry about the rogue photos guys. One of the reasons I had a close up of the jib was I knew it wasn't right.It was how do you get there from here kinda point.The manual helps a lot and i'll give it a try again I want to rig it a couple of times before I take it to the water.The problem really came when I went to pull the main down.The PO had nice little bolin holding the ring for the sail but when I went to take it down his loop was to big and jammed into the pulley.Do you guys have problems with this setup or do they work good when setup right.

jmecky I paid $1500 dollars for my boat and there were 4 16's for $600 in my area at that time.As I researched it on here and elsewhere.I liked the 18 because it carried more weight the 16 seemed to be weight sensitive.The 18 also has a more modern design in the jib and hulls.My 2 worries are stepping the mast by myself witch isn't bad at all now that I know.Righting it my self kinda worries me but it sounds like I will be in the water less with the 18.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I went sailing today at Mission Bay San Diego, and I finally flipped my cat. I just could not get the main sheet released. Funny thing is I did not get wet. As she flipped I crawled over the wings and then crawled down slowly. I have had her 5 years and never flipped. She did not want to turtle, she floated happy on her side. I have a Hawaiian righting line, and no matter how I tugged, I could not get her righted. A stand up paddle board lifted my mast up and she righted easy. I need a righting bag.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

as stated above your furler is backwards, but also, when turning it around be sure to wind the line the correct direction. it should come straight out of the drum and not rub on the side of the hole.

eric, sail #205

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed for the first time today went to my local lake.First I went to the marina they had logs all the way around with a small hole between two logs to get out.I just couldn't see me sailing through that hole for the first time.Found a little abandoned spot and things went real well from there.One thing I did wrong was in all my studying to do this I watched way to many tips and pitchpoles on video.It was very strange to move along with no motor noise.I really enjoy the connection to the world around you.

Thanks guys I believe I have my jib problems worked out it all went inside and the lines started looking a lot like the ones in the picture.

Jmecky after 5 years you finally did it.I took the time to reseal my mast hopefully it will hold water too.So you feel like you were really close to righting it and a bag will make it happen.I was thinking about a righting pole but I feel like as I learn maybe a better decision would happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep after 5 years I did it. The last year I kinda had started to think that I would never flip her over, that thought changed fast. I've had some close calls before but never over. Last month I spent some time sealing the mast, it really payed off. The boat did not want to turtle, I felt it would had stayed on its side a long while before it would have turtled. Also my boat did not leak a drop. :D

I decided to rig a righting system, and am building the one seen in the video.
I like the one in the video because all you need is a hockey stick and a two pieces of rope. You don't have to use a hockey stick, you can use anything that will fit and is strong enough. It is also easy to store under the tramp attached to the lacing. I'm not going to use a pole as long as his, mine will be about 14 inches shorter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Q18 wrote:
The problem really came when I went to pull the main down.The PO had nice little bolin holding the ring for the sail but when I went to take it down his loop was to big and jammed into the pulley.

Use a Figure-8 knot through the small eye on the halyard ring.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Somebody on here made one of those with a hinge on one end to slip in the dagger hole can't remember who though.Sounds like it worked good for him.He kept it under the tramp bungied to the dead end for the main sail control rope.I guess you will have to tip it on it's side on the beach in order to get your rope lengths set.

Another thing I wanted to ask was when the wind came up the back edge of the jib started to vibrate.Do I have something out of adjustment?Is this normal or a problem I can fix.

Thank you presto I will look up a figure 8 knot in my computer.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To get the back edge of the jib to stop flapping you need to move the jib car traveler aft I think.

I had the same problem the other day, I think I moved it aft, because the back edge of the jib was too tight, moving the jib car aft loosened the aft edge and stopped the humming/flapping.