Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1981 Hobie 18 Magnum for sale. It has good and bad. The starboard hull is delaminating and soft next to the striker. Plus it is missing the hatch cover. The tramp also must be replaced. The main halyard is frayed and must be replaced. Some of the good--The sales were replaced (with old unused sales) approximately seven seasons ago and are in good shape. The wings are in great shape with covers that are approximately three years old. The trailer is galvanized and has new wheels and tires. There are many extras--buckets, double trapeze, extra daggars, etc. Do I sell it outright, part it out and if so for how much. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How bad is the delam? If it can be repaired without sacrificing too much structural integrity then do it. If the delam is too much then replace the hull. The rest of your problems are normal maintenance.

On the other hand, the wings by themselves are nearly worth the whole boat and you may find more buyers for just those.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would be interested in your sails if you part it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want your tiller crossbar and its end fittings. How about 20$ plus shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am Interested in purchasing the wings. where are you located?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dips on the good hull! what do you want?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As nobody seems to have addressed the question, I will give you the definitive answer! ...... It depends!

Yep, sorry, but that's it.

Now to make that decision, you can check say, eBay, thebeachcats ( http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds ... parts.html ) or the classifieds here to get an idea of part prices, and that will tell you (I am sad to say) your boat is worth more carved up.

But.......... Look at the above posters - how much to ship the hulls to MO, the Sails to FL, the mast to East Jesus and will you sell it all?
I believe the wings will sell easily and people will, (and have) paid ungodly shipping fees to get fresh wing meat! Others have just purchased a boat just for the wings and parted the rest, so its a question of do you want to get rid of all of it or maximize $$ over time.

So, it depends! - but the wings are a good bargaining chip either way. Also let us know where you are - the vultures love local carrion!

S.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like K Kipp, I'm contemplating selling my H18 or parting it out and using lots of the parts on my Tamanu hulled H18 rigged cruiser--H21SC on a budget and with volume...

Anyhow, after storing the hobie for the last two years in parts in the garage, I'm finishing the cat beachcruiser. I was thinking of either keeping the 18 at the cabin or selling the parts I'm not going to need in the project. I've sold the Ulua outrigger, the kayak, and that's helped alleviate the cluttered garage.

The 18 isn't as fun as the tamanu for the beachcruising I like to do as it's comparably low, wet, and uncomfortable with terrible access for gear. As a result, I'm think of doing what K is doing but just putting some items up for sale.

What do you think of selling the hulls, beams and other details not makeing the transfer over to the Tamanu cat? Maybe they could live on in a more used form on someone else's ride.