Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18SX jib sail
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I move forward with my conversion of 18SE to SX I notice the difference in the forestay lengths. I had anticipated the upper forestay being longer on the SX but not the case based on the new rigging I purchased. Concerns me because I planned on using my SE jib. Is the SX jib taller? Is it less of a genoa with a shorter foot? My reasoning for changing to an SX mast is to facilitate using a Tiger squaretop main. Will I be creating a poor sail plan if I use the SE jib? Maybe I should have the main cut down to fit a 28' stick instead of continuing on the current path. Any and all suggestions happily accepted, help me think this thru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dimensionally all I know is the SX is larger. Lots of help, huh? Hear me out.

The square top will concievably create more twist at the top of the main. The SE may preform better than the taller SX jib. I'd suggest trying the SX stick with the SE jib.

Personally, I'd do lots of setup experimentation before cutting down the Tiger main. You'll have something to barter with if it doesn't work out. I'd be inclined to spend money on having a dacron squaretop made (and maybe recut) before cutting up mylar to fit the short stick.

Are you sailing with spin only now, and all else standard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
Yes, have the spin on the 28' stick. Out last weekend in 15 - 20 kts wind. 5ft wind chop. The spin is awesome, wicked fast. After I lowered the pole and got the luff tight it rolls. Very little if any collapse at leading edge. Been double trapping on the wings. I don't really feel comfortable standing off the wings, would rather have my feet on the hull. We were surfing waves and dancing across the peaks, one of the best days I've had in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
I don't really feel comfortable standing off the wings, would rather have my feet on the hull.

Understood the wife will have a better "platform" to operate the spin from (with the wings), but this is exactly the conclusion we came to regarding the wings. Tried and tried to go fast/er with them and couldn't.

Sorry, for kinda hijacking the thread. :shock:

Thanks for the update, keep us "posted".