Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased an older H18 in need of repair for a very good price. The good news is the boat was nearly complete (really only missing the mainsail set up and tiller handle), and the mast, sails and rigging are in surprisingly good condition. The bad news is that the tops of the hulls are delaminating, and a prior owner obviously attempted a rather substantial repair to the front of the starboard pontoon by cutting out a large patch, repairing the fiberglass and putting it back in. My question is whether that is something that is regularly done? A prior owner also attempted to drill and inject resin into the areas just ahead of the rear support of both pontoons, but didn't drill very many holes and the fiberglass is still soft in those areas. I have a good friend who is a professional auto body repairman, with all the necessary equipment to properly repair fiberglass - who has offered to help me with this project and gell coat the hulls. I am just now getting back into sailing cats after taking off a few decades, and really only anticipate a little pleasure sailing. Any suggestions? Repair and/or replace these hulls?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome back to the Hobie world.

Do a search on this site for delamination repair. Your questions have probably already been answered as the topic of delamination has been discussed heavily on this site. Everything from successful repairs to horror stories of people pumping gallons of epoxy into their hulls has been talked about.

If the delam area is large, there's a good chance it isn't worth trying to repair.

You should also check out the May/June 2008 and July/August 2009 Hobie Hotlines as they have valuable repair articles that should help you out.

http://www.w1dm.com/projects/HOTLINE/Hotline.html

sm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool Daddy wrote:
I recently purchased an older H18 in need of repair for a very good price. The good news is the boat was nearly complete (really only missing the mainsail set up and tiller handle), and the mast, sails and rigging are in surprisingly good condition. The bad news is that the tops of the hulls are delaminating, and a prior owner obviously attempted a rather substantial repair to the front of the starboard pontoon by cutting out a large patch, repairing the fiberglass and putting it back in. My question is whether that is something that is regularly done? A prior owner also attempted to drill and inject resin into the areas just ahead of the rear support of both pontoons, but didn't drill very many holes and the fiberglass is still soft in those areas. I have a good friend who is a professional auto body repairman, with all the necessary equipment to properly repair fiberglass - who has offered to help me with this project and gell coat the hulls. I am just now getting back into sailing cats after taking off a few decades, and really only anticipate a little pleasure sailing. Any suggestions? Repair and/or replace these hulls?

All the info is on the FAQ link:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1156

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're just anticipating a little pleasure sailing I would say absolutely try and fix what you have. Worst case you're out the cost of the epoxy and your time. Give it some time to see if your repairs are holding up then you can decide down the road if you want to invest the time and money on re-spraying the gelcoat.