Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H-18 sell or no sell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 H-18 and was thinking I might kick myself later if I sell it. Boat is in nice shape with solid hulls. What does the future look like as far a resale goes? Since the 18 is not made anymore will that drive the price higher or lower? It took me awhile to find this one so I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the hell to do. I don't have to sell it but I was approached with a good offer. HELP!!!

Anyone else out there in my situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

'82 is a good year. Strong boat. Do you use it or is it collecting dust? The boats will be worth less as time goes on. If you still sail and the offer is less than 2k keep it.

Post subject: Re: H-18 sell or no sell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kwshag wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1982 H-18 and was thinking I might kick myself later if I sell it. Boat is in nice shape with solid hulls. What does the future look like as far a resale goes? Since the 18 is not made anymore will that drive the price higher or lower? It took me awhile to find this one so I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the hell to do. I don't have to sell it but I was approached with a good offer. HELP!!!

Anyone else out there in my situation?

I kicked myself after selling our '82. I didn't overpay for it last year and could have afforded to keep it and get another Hobie. I got caught up in the "they don't make them anymore and no one races them" thing. We're racing the 20 and the 16's the play boat, just as easily could have been the 18!

I haven't seen a significant change (up or down) in pricing this season and an older Hobie, in good shape, seems to hold its value.

I made a decent profit on my 18 if I charge nothing for my labor invested. I really like the 18. :)
What would you replace your '82 with? Another 18?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All the above, plus my two cents - do you still sail the 18? If not, then let it go to someone who will enjoy it for what it's meant for, and spread the love.

It broke my heart to sell my 16 after three great years enjoying it, but I felt I would get another one someday, and 17 years later, when the time was right, I did.

These boats should not be part of an investment strategy, so forget about future value. They should be enjoyed for what they give you while sailing them, not the money they bring.

Post subject: Re: H-18 sell or no sell
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you decide to sell you’ll find a market. I’m currently looking for a HC 18 or 16. There are a lot of folk who sail them just for the fun (no racing rules, or fleets apply). If you decide to sell, I’d like to see your boat. email at: [email protected]