Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My guess would be someone swapped out the port spring with a spring used for the updated castings. The old style casting uses the smaller diameter spring and if you look at the seating surface of the plastic adjusting screw, you will see a recess where the spring seats (this is assuming the adjusting screw wasn't also swapped out).

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 84 with the old rudder system. I was sailing it in NC two weeks ago and broke the lower casting coming into the beach. I thought I had done everything correctly. Coming in I had one rudder locked up and the other released and dragging, unlocked behind the boat. Of course a fairly large wave comes in just as we are 30 yards from the beach and I wrestle the boat to keep it from turning sideways. What I did not realize was that the wave had pushed the rudder back into the "locked" down position so as we hit the beach I heard the rudder hitting bottom. I pulled up on the crossbar twice and it would not release. On the third pull, the casting broke and everything came up in my hand. At this point I am on a beach 14 miles from the nearest boat launch. I got lucky and found an old casting at Murray`s and had it on the boat the next night.

Sailed and beached several times over the next few days. The trick is to just hold the cross bar up as you land so the rudder can't lock. This also allows you to control how down the rudder is. It is a little bit of a pain but easier and cheaper than a broken casting.

I guess I should break out the file just to make sure.