Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downhaul
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a pieced-together Hobie 18 that I just got on the water for the first time in many years, and I am wondering how much force I should be applying to the downhaul for recreational sailing. The mast has a comptip and downhaul hardware riveted to the mast and I'm looking for "low/no-cost" solutions. I think I have it rigged in such a way that I get about 3:1 advantage (probably more like 2:1 given drag in the system).

How hard are people pulling down on old sails? Am I looking for the luff/tack to feel about 5, 50, or 150 pounds of force or more when I set up for moderate conditions?

I realize these things are subjective, but I'm new to this and I just want to get within the correct order of magnitude without breaking anything expensive.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Downhaul
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Pull hard enough to remove horizontal wrinkles. Going to take a lot ot effort for anything less than 4:1. The guys us 6 and 8:1 these days.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The stock 3:1 downhaul on the H18 isn't very effective. You'd need to upgrade to a 4:1, 5:1 or 6:1 system to get it to perform properly.

The older the sails, the more they tend to stretch and the more downhaul you need to apply to remove the wrinkles. If you're worried about tearing the sail, maybe it ought to be repaired or replaced.

Now, if you're just looking to have some fun on the water, the boat will sail without any downhaul whatsoever... your sail trim won't be right, and it won't be very efficient, but it'll sail just fine for your needs. It's up to you to decide whether you'd like to make due with what you've got, or try to upgrade. I built a 5:1 downhaul for ~$175, using all parts listed in the hobie catalog.

I borrowed centralmichigansailor's design (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36064&start=30). I like that it was simple to install and didn't require any drilling on the mast. I'm not racing, so I don't mind that it's not more fancy. I believe srm has a really nice system that he's outlined on the forums... 8:1 purchase, and adjustable from either side of the mast, for ~$250.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't recommend sailing without any downhaul. Even on an old sail you need the downhaul to pull ot the wrinkles. Plus without any downhaul, you run the risk of having the sail come unhooked from the halyard hook.

A 3:1 system was stock and was all that was allowed by the rules for many years. You can get decent tension on the system with 3:1 if you use the mainsheet to help pull the sail down. The main disadvantage with the stock system is that it is not easily adjusted while sailing. It is more of a set and forget type system whereas the more poweful systems can be adjusted on the fly.

Also, i would not be worried about breaking anything with a 3:1 system. If you were to break something then it was going to break anyway.

sm

Last edited by srm on Thu May 15, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apologies, I was exaggerating somewhat to make a point, but that probably wasn't very clear. Downhaul plays an important role in sail trim, and you don't want to go without. My point was primarily that there are always a lot of things that COULD be upgraded, but that doesn't mean that it's necessary to enjoy the boat. Upgrades get expensive! Even routine maintenance will cost a pretty penny.

I would of course never contradict SRM, he's pretty much a genius when it comes to the H18, as are many of the guys on this forum. I try to pitch in where I can :)

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Also, i would not be worried about breaking anything with a 3:1 system. If you were to break something then it was going to break anyway.

That's what I need to hear really, as a gymnast/rock climber with a strong grip I'm pretty good at over-tightening things

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After years of using the stock 3:1 downhaul, I bought the 5:1 from Central Michigan sailor. It's a snap to use, very fast, and is a good compromise between the stock system and a Tiger style downhaul. At the end of a day's sailing, it's real easy to undo the main. Email me off line if you'd like pictures.... lunnjohn 'at' magma 'dot' ca.

currently on holidays in Marco Island FL sailing Getaways off the beach, rented from Paul's Beach Rentals... keeps his equipment in top notch shape.