Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Block maintenance.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do the blocks and pulleys need to
Be lubed? They look like they are in good shape but it seems like they should move more freely. Do they have bearings?

Post subject: Re: Block maintenance.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Blocks do have bearings, but I do not believe there is any real maintenance that can be performed on them unless you have the proper tools to disassemble them. Are you referring to your mainsheet blocks or jib blocks? Are your blocks the stock Seaway blocks, a low profile or higher purchase Harken setup, or some other brand?

I've run into the same problem. My mainsheet blocks are a low profile setup by a brand I had not heard of and cannot find, that I believe has gone out of business. They do not spin as freely as they should, and I have found no way to service them, so I'm looking at replacing them.

My jib blocks, on the other hand, are IFL (Oxen/Oschen) self ratcheting blocks, really quite handy, though very few 18's that I've seen use them. Murray's will service these blocks if they need it. (http://www.oxenblocks.com/oxen.pdf)

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

Post subject: Re: Block maintenance.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The best maintenance for blocks is preventative - keep them clean. Flush them with fresh water whenever you can if you sail in salt water. Don't leave them out in the sun. Don't let them rattle around in the bottom of the trailer box. I keep all the bits that come off my boat in a small duffel bag that keeps them together and clean.

You can spray the block innards with silicone spray or McLube Sailkote to lube them up a bit, but they're designed to work without lubrication.

Seaways have roller bearings (one race), Harken blocks have ball bearings (two races). Roller bearings can take higher loads, but the ball bearings roll more freely.