Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for invaluable help in getting me squared away with my 18SX. I bought her about two months ago and have spent last two months working on getting her set-up and for Chip at Whirlwind to get my new sails made. Tomorrow we ride for the first time!
For those interested, I bought an awesome 18sx for $1,200 which felt like a steal but I also knew on purchase that was not going to be my on-water price. She's a '89 nationals boat and super solid in hulls and wings but for those curious here's what I needed to do to her to get her beach launch ready. Hulls and rigging had sat outside for a while so that's why most running rigging needed work.

- new main and jib from Chip at Whirlwind (by far largest expense naturally)
- new main and jib sheets
- new main and jib halyard
- new furling line (and added fairlead and cleat on front crossbar too)
- new outhaul shock cord, line and bearings
- new mast rotation line
- new diamond wire rollers
- Rudder cam kit and derlin screws
- New bolt for mast (diamond wires and mast rotation arm)
- new pigtail blocks and line for jib
- new tiller extension grip tape (hockey tape works great!)
- new shroud pins and rings
- new trapeze adjustment line and shock cord.
- new bow clevis pins and rings
- used bow aft end cap (when I replaced outhaul lines)
- new shock cord for daggerboards

When I look at the list I'm understanding of the analogy of sailing like standing under a cold water shower ripping up $50 notes but heck we could have chosen dice as our passion right? Looking forward to getting out through surf tomorrow!
I sailed a 16 for 5 years and raced monohulls since I was 6 (and for a time professionally) but for some reason never been more excited about a new boat then this 18sx.
Anyway, thanks to all forum members again for help and advice.
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah. . . another believer. Have a Hobie day!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

prgraham wrote:
For those interested, I bought an awesome 18sx for $1,200 which felt like a steal but I also knew on purchase that was not going to be my on-water price.

Out of curiosity, was this the boat that was listed on craigslist about two months ago in eastern PA? Grey mesh tramps and FORMULA written down the side of hull. If it is, that did look like a very nice boat and an awesome deal. I was tempted to swoop in on it.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd like to offer you congratulations, and many miles of happy sailing.

You and I have the same H18SX.... 1989 Nationals Boat, with some modifications.
I too, paid a good deal of money to Chip, and I am very happy with his work. Later, we added a 5:1 downhaul, mainsheet overboard preventer, (really just a piece of shade cloth between the two tramp halves), Robbline main and jib sheets, EPO rudders, FX4 hiking stick, and last year, a Tiger spin set up. This past winter, I refurbished the furler, now runs smooth as silk. With some indoor/outdoor carpeting and some epoxy, I added 'protection' to the inside corners of the dagger wells. Hobie used to sell a neoprene kit for just that purpose... it is critical so you can maintain 'good' edges on your daggers. email me off line for details if you want.

Coming from H16's, you've probably been told to remember to 'raise' the daggers when running in shallow waters.... I have many stories. Lucky I had a spare set of daggers.

When running downwind, you will be AMAZED at how much buoyancy there is in the front of the hulls. Last Weds evening, during club racing, my son and were running under spin in 10 knots when we were hit with a 20 kt gust.... we took water up to the front cross bar and of course the boat slowed way down for a second or two until it could come back on an even keel. Other than that.... no problem.

I recommend you find a quiet spot, and with some helpers, capsize and right the boat under controlled conditions. So when you do end up going for a swim, you know what to do with comfort and ease.

Good winds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice! I too considered that SX you picked up; glad it went to someone dedicated to get in on the water in style. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all,
SM, Yep that's the boat. Was a great deal for the hulls, mast and standing rigging. Everything else I basically had to replace. Just been out all weekend and boy can she move! So many big and subtle differences from a 16 to this 18SX. John you nailed some of the big ones! My old 16 (like most of them) seemed to take pleasure in pitchpoling and as I sail off the beach in often choppy water this became a pain. No such worries on the SX.

I'm been in a bit of a 'set and forget' mode on most of the gears such as outhaul, downhaul, mast adjuster etc. but will start to run through those gears next week and if weather allows, practice some righting techniques.
Such a fun boat:

[img]<iframe%20src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/76934373@N06/14427927171/player/"%20width="75"%20height="75"%20frameborder="0"%20allowfullscreen%20webkitallowfullscreen%20mozallowfullscreen%20oallowfullscreen%20msallowfullscreen></iframe>[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote="prgraham"]
Such a fun boat:
quote]
Looks great and probably moves her along much better than those ragged originals could.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a nice looking boat! Congrats, prgraham!

I love the 18, such a pleasure to sail, and as wild-a-ride as any!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238