Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: magnum wing question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 82, an 83 and an 85 red line magnum.

I do not race, I more of a pack a lunch, a cooler and go see some boston harbor islands. I weigh 210lbs and my crew usually weighs around the same. I usually bring my 85lbs dog and I also have a cheata mount with a 2hp gamefisher outboard.

Its my understanding that the 82 and 83 are built more sturdy. my 82 has had two soft spot repairs. My 83 has no soft spots soo Im planning on taking the magnum wings off my 85 and turning my 83 into my main boat because of the theory that 85's are good for racing but not good for longevity.

What have you guys done to beef up and/or strengthen your wings and hulls.
Should I use the "D" bracket that is used for the front crossbar on the rear crossbar (install portholes to thru bolt) any welded gussets or stiffener on the wings themselves.

Also Im looking to use new hardware to mount my magnums but magnum parts kit are not sold therefore its my understanding from searching various posts that the SX kit that is sold will work and use the same parts for sx and magnum.

SX parts kit 68060101

My understanding is that magnums use one anchor plate part 68190001 on aft starboard side. should I or will I be able to use 4 on all slugs to strengthen the mounting points. any thoughts are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: magnum wing question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if you have concerns about your hulls, then adding the reinforcing plates are a must. when I found Magnum wings for my '88, my boat already had reinforcement plates fore and aft. I bought but have yet to add plates for the inboard side of the rear crossbar as I think its worthwhile protection. if you don't have them on the outside hull of the rear crossbar you should add them.

the V shaped mount bracket is only necessary on the starboard rear. adding it to the other corners will limit your ability to remove the trampoline.

I have not used my wings roughly so I cannot comment whether adding gussets is necessary. if I found a cracked weld seam I would then have them added.

I was fortunate to get all the necessary hardware. it is true that Magnum hardware is not listed separately and Matt has told me to just order SX hardware. I have found the aftermarket L brackets that mount to the crossbar ends to be of thinner metal than my older OEM brackets. something to watch for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OlderBowman wrote:
I bought but have yet to add plates for the inboard side of the rear crossbar as I think its worthwhile protection.

The upgraded plates can be added to the inboard rear crossbar locations, but they're not as easy to install as the other locations. The recess in the hull is not as large as the other spots so it's a very tight fit. Before putting them on my boat, I put the channel portion of the plate in a bench vice to squeeze it closed a little bit so it would fit in the recess more easily. Also, the deck flange may block the two outboard holes of the bracket making it difficult to insert the 1/4" machine screws through the bracket and into the hull - the head of the screw is blocked by the deck lip. My solution to this was to use a dremel tool with sanding drum attachment and grind two little half-moons into the flange until the screw head would fit past the deck lip.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brian_484 wrote:
Its my understanding that the 82 and 83 are built more sturdy. my 82 has had two soft spot repairs. My 83 has no soft spots soo Im planning on taking the magnum wings off my 85 and turning my 83 into my main boat because of the theory that 85's are good for racing but not good for longevity.

Good Call. My bet is your 82 is a colored boat (blue or yellow). White boats in 83 were tanks and very durable. Redline boats had better decks but failed at the cross arm points.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks guys Im working on the old girl now. I'll let you guys know how everything fits up