Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering if anyone could provide any tips to storing a H-18 for the winter months in the Northeast. I am still looking for an inside storage location, but at the present time my only option is outside.

Should I take the tramp off to eliminate the snow load? Should I get a large cover to keep the snow off the entire boat?

Next Spring I would like to spray the hulls as the original gel-coat has lost its shine and sealing ability. Any thoughts on what to spray? Any advice on teaching myself to spray a certain product? I have the equipment and have sprayed cars before but no experience with gel-coat or anything dealing with fiberglass.

Thanks to this site and everyone for making my first Hobie summer well worth purchasing this boat. In my mind, I'm already sailing in 2007!

t-bone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep the whole boat covered if possible. Elevate the nose so any moisture will run out, leave drain plugs out. I have a tarp that covers the lenght of the mast so all wires, ropes, etc are covered. It even protects the trailer. So far as painting gel coat is best but expensive and best left to professionals. A good urethane car paint will do a good job but wears faster than gel coat. Most yacht repairs are finished with auto paint and not gel coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been wanting to refinish my H18 for the past 2 years now. In my research I have found that I like the 2 part epoxy paints best. One, from the literature, and other who have already used the paint, is has been said that you can even brush it on and get a nice finish. I like the fact that the epoxy is harder than gelcoat. From the boats I have seen painted with the epoxy, it seems to keep it's shine for many, many years while the gelcoat will begin to dull much earlier.

This information is only my opinion as I am in no way an expert on boat painting. I offer this information only as another option to consider.

As far as winter storage, I had my boats stored outside in New England for a number of years. I would remove the running and standing rigging and the tramp. I would have the bows elevated. I did not cover with a tarp because I did not want to worry every time the wind kciked up if the tarp would come off. The boats did fine. The color of the cross bars and the hulls did fade a bit each year, but the boat is over 20 years old so I don't mind.

On another note, it's good to see you are still gung-ho about the H18!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nick,

Thanks for the info. Can you suggest a manufacture of the 2 part epoxy paint? I plan on doing this in early Spring and I want to make sure that I do this right the first time.

And yes the H18 was a real joy this summer. I am still in the learning curve but it all went well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am planning on using Interlux. I would also look into thier primers. Depending on how much work you want to put into repainting your boat you can sand off all of the gelcoat and start the epoxy paint right from the glass. You can also get a primer for covering gelcoat.

Interlux also has a one part epoxy paint called Perfection (I think). It's not as hard of a cure, but it is designed for the homebuilder to use easily.

For good prices check out this website:

http://www.jamestowndistributers.com

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO