Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello all,

With the postponement of the 2014 Hobie 18, 20, Tiger/ wildcat North Americans originally scheduled for Huntington Lake, California, Division 4 has stepped up to the plate to ensure that an event does happen for this year. We have made arrangements for the event to happen during the same date period (August 4-8) with a change of venue to Cascade Locks Oregon. This area is host to some of the best sailing in the US and home to many national and international championship events. With the help of the Columbia Gorge Racing Association, we anticipate a great week of sailing. Follow THIS LINK for information and directions about the Gorge and the area.
I know there have been some concerns regarding the conditions there especially for new or novice sailors and for some of the classes. With this in mind, we have proposed a wind limit of 18-20 knts sustained, to be enforced at the RO's discretion. Our goal is also to start and finish racing before the wind thermals really take off. Safety of the sailors is our major concern here, and we don't want people to damage boats. We are also considering separating the fleets into A and B fleets. The B fleet would race in the more manageable conditions. This would allow the novice sailors to join the 'party' in conditions that are more suited to their skills without degrading the competition for the more experienced sailors.
We are putting a time limit (July 1st) for the H20/ Tiger/ Wildcat classes to have a fleet registered for inclusion in the event. If there is anybody wishing to sail a H18 instead, please contact me about possible charter boats.

The NOR can be downloaded here: 2014 H18 NOR

The link to the Division 4 Webpage for registration is here: 2014 H18 REGISTRATION

I know Scott was hoping to see 25-30 boats on the line for his event, let's see if we can come close to the same and help with the resurgence of the H18 as a competitive racing class.
If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me either through this forum or by personal email: pevenden at telus dot net

We look forward to seeing you there!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey y'all....
Well so far I've havn't had any registrations (except for mine and a few local sailors) for the 2014 H18 NAC event.
If you want an event this year, we do need you to register!
It is available online as posted above. You don't need to pay right away, but there is a link to send money by paypal or you can print out your registration, and mail us a cheque. All the info is there. We are putting in a lot of time and effort to make this happen on short notice and we'd like you to join our party!
If you don't know who your crew is? that's ok...
If you don't know your sail number? that's ok...
You can give us the final details at registration.
Please let us know if you're coming so we can plan...
We always host a great party up here in the Northwest!

Remember, early bird deadline is July 1st, it's going to come up fast!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, the list is growing. Slowly. We have 13 boats confirmed so far with more to come. There does seem to be a bias for sailors from Div 4 and Div 3, although the current H18 Champions, Jim and Barbie Doty are going to grace us with their presence to defend their title!
What about you?! Are you going to come and join the fun?
Here is the list so far.......

Competitor List

20 3 H20 986 Mark Lewis Tiffany Lewis USA
20 3 H20 935 Mark Zimmer Kim Cooper USA
20 3 H20 999 Mikey Howser USA
263 4 H18 16785 Cal Bridge CAN
263 4 H18 16928 Gillian Thompson Conner Durham Canada
95 4 H18 17075 Jerry Valeske USA
106 11 H18 17065 Jim Doty Jr Barbie Doty USA
H18 TBD Jim Sohn USA
263 4 H18 16927 Paul Evenden Tawnya-Dhaun Fox Canada
95 4 H18 TBD Peter Nelson Laura Sullivan USA
259 3 H18 TBD Scott Erwin Kathy Erwin USA
263 4 H18 77 Shaun Roberts Paul Thiesen CAN
259 3 H18 17081 Thomas Sinnickson USA

...and just as I was posting this... Chris Bradshaw added her name to the H18 list!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Only 3 weeks to go for the early registration deadline! I know some people don't mind paying the extra, but I should would rather not! Also, it helps us tremendously with planning if we know who's coming sooner than later. If you are coming, send us your registration and give us a note that payment is 'in the mail'.
We do our planning for logo items (t-shirts etc) based on the information available as of July 1... if you want one in your size guaranteed, you gotta be registered!
Help us out... come and join us and let us know....
Remember, we are doing this for you.. the sailors, and the H18 class... not for us.. the organizers!
Come and support your class!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi everyone... the time is drawing close for the early registrations to end, then it's starts to cost more money! Now, I don't have a problem if it's going to cost you more money, but I would if it were me.

We are now up to 7 H20's and 11 H18's registered. I am aware of 1 or 2 more H20's to register and 4 or 5 H18's to register. Thanks to all who have registered so far, we have some great sponsors on board so far with more to come! (I think there's a beer sponsor in there too!)

If you havn't registered yet, don't wait. I know some of you have replied that you can't make it... we understand.. but your loss! :)

for those who have registered... there are many incomplete registrations.. mostly crew names and HCA numbers. Remember, BOTH SKIPPER AND CREW MUST BE HCA MEMBERS. If you know your crew already, please make sure they are a membership before coming to the event. It makes our job a lot easier and less paperwork for you when you do register. I will be reminding those individuals in a week or so.. it's easy to do, just follow this link..... http://www.hcanamembers.com/

we do have a couple of young lads, excellent sailors, who would like to participate, so if you are looking for able crew... let me know right away!

that's it for now.....

paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Paul,

Just want to say thanks for doing all the work to make this event happen. Sorry I can not make it the race. However, I want you to know I am still glad to see it happen.

Good luck with everything as it looks like a great time.

Cheers,

Rich Brew,
79 - H18
85 - H18
82- H33
Florida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One week to go for early registration deadline... you know the drill.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey all... so below is the list... as of July 1st...
We have 8 H20's and 14 H18's signed up to play... and I know of 1 more H18 to sign up.
If your name is not on the list and it should be, send me an email to [email protected]
If you want to be on the list and are procrastinating, I'm going to give you to July 4th, this Friday, to sign up at the Early bird Rate...
Now's your chance if you've been humming and hawing...
The event is a go... for both fleets... so if you're wavering... STOP. and come out and play with us!

H20 Al Leonard Steve Lawlor USA
H20 Ben Brown USA
H20 Frank Ternullo Patricia Long USA
H20 George Pedrick Eugenia Harris USA
H20 Jacob Sailer USA
H20 Mark Lewis Tiffany Lewis USA
H20 Mark Zimmer Kim Cooper USA
H20 Mikey Howser Fei Ren USA

H18 Brett Peterson Christine Peterson USA
H18 Cal Bridge CAN
H18 Chris Bradshaw USA
H18 Doug Weston Alexandra Edgar CAN
H18 Gillian Thomson Ruth Branscombe CAN
H18 Jerry Valeske Valerie Pioszak USA
H18 Jim Doty Jr Barbie Doty USA
H18 Jim Sohn USA
H18 Ken Marshack Stan Breed USA
H18 Paul Evenden Tawnya-Dhaun Fox CAN
H18 Peter Nelson Laura Sullivan USA
H18 Scott Erwin Kathy Erwin USA
H18 Shaun Roberts Paul Thiesen CAN
H18 Thomas Sinnickson USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone got results??!!

sm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.hobiediv4.org/blog/2014/08/0 ... ldcat-nas/

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What a great event! Div 4 knocked it out of the park at the Gorge. I don't think there was one race that was under 15 knots or over 25 knots (although suppose to be under 20).

Jim Sohn was just to fast and consistent. I kept up with him until almost the end and he took the last two races decisively.

My highlights were:

-Barges and a very tough PRO. "Get in the area of a barge and you will be kicked out". And Wed night he followed through with the promise.
-Sailing to sunset. Winds were too high in the morning so we sailed/started after 4:00 pm on Wed and Thurs and watched the sun go down.
-Sailing at day break. Friday start was at 8:00 am before the high winds (still blowing 18). 2 20s missed the first start by minutes. Tough PRO. We got 2 races in before the winds were gusting over 27.
-Ripped sails, Flipped boats, Broken rudders, emergency fiberglass work
-Very tough competition
-Blackberrys all over the venue grounds and Oregon.
-My 14 year old son sailing with Tom Sinnickson and placing 5th.
-An 18 fleet that was solid!

Thanks Div 4! We look forward to seeing everyone at Huntington Lake next Summer.

-

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done big Jim! You showed them how its done.
In fact, well done to all of you, sailing in those conditions.
Can anyone post any pictures or links to pictures?

Did anyone else write up any reports?

Maybe next year.....
This year, my son and I are still 'in training'.... and in weekly Club racing, we are now beating Tornado's, mostly on Portsmouth handicaps, and occasionally in direct competition. Thanks to all on the Forum for their advice and help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is the link to the photos shot by a professional photographer at the event. Some excellent shots! 214 photos!

http://janpix.smugmug.com/Boats/2014-Ho ... &k=qcp3GNr

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks to all who attended!. We had 18 H18's and 9 H20's.. great winds, a couple of evening sails (had to wait for the wind to calm down a bit... ) and one early am sail (have you ever started racing at 8am? I hadn't before!) before the wind picked up! 14 races and close competition. A few torn sails, broken stuff that never breaks and time off to see some of the great sights in the area... Thanks to our hosts, Columbia Gorge Racing Association, all the volunteers, and the sailors who made the trip!

See you next year at Huntington Lake!