Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is this part #
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I'm coming up to Cat Sailing from 300 hrs or so in Lasers in the last 24 months. When young, I sailed H16 for about 5 hours, just enough to get wet and have some fun.

I have a couple of questions and was wondering if you could lend a hand. Thanks in advance.

Just bought an older H18 and I'm removing all the soft lines and replacing them. Just wondering if you could help me a tad as I've never rigged a boat like this. On the static manual here for H18 there appears to be a page missing. The illustration displaying #79 does not have a page of nomenclature. I suspect it's the jib blocks that run in a track. There's a little string attached to it and runs under the tramp to the other block. Probably for some type of tensioning?
First what is #79 and what is that string called and what does it do?
Also, I remove the righting line, 22ft, a loop, under the tramp, connected to two blocks (pulleys) on strings, in each corner of the front xbeams, with the excess line twisted, then woven back through the tramp about mid way and there afixed is another block. The block sits near the middle of the tramp at the end of the loop as it is drawn tight to keep all line off the water. Is this block used with another line that is used to pull the righting line back up into position after use. Not sure why that block is there?

I may have some other questions with other items.... should I just ask them in this thread or start a new thread? I'd like to keep a record of my rigging and sailing in one place if at all possible.
Thanks again!
NotEnoughWind

Post subject: Re: What is this part #
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

New Forum Users - Activation Information FAQ:

Quote:
We use a post moderation / approval system in an effort to avoid spam posts in our forums.

Your first (2) posts will be reviewed by us and approved for posting. (These are typically processed Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM PST).

I saw and moderated / approved your post earlier today. If you went back and edited in any way... it would go through the moderation process again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

The line under the trampoline likely has a 3/8" shock cord running to the middle block to pull tension on it. Possible similar system: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/30102z52.pdf

Manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H18%26SX_Manual.pdf

Yeah... odd that the illustration does not match the list shown. 75 Flange and 76 Storage Cover w/Handle are 83 and 84 on the drawing. No better digital manual available though. Seems to be when they adapted to the SX.

The cross over "string" was 3/6" shock cord to help keep the blocks facing the weather side. Otherwise they spin.

Jib sheets (and main sheet / traveler) are continuous lines. The drawing makes it look like the lines have bitter ends... they don't. Look at the H17 Sport manual for reference on those: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H17SportManual.pdf

H18 Line Guide:

Mainsheet Line 7/16" Spun Braid x 48' 1 ea.
Jibsheet Line 5/16" Spun Braid x 44' 1 ea.
Main Halyard Line - 18 3/16" Halyard x 58' 1 ea.
Main Halyard Line - 18SX 3/16" Halyard x 61' 1 ea.
Jib Halyard Line - 18 1/12" Flag Halyard x 20' 1 ea.
Jib Halyard Line - 18SX 1/12" Flag Halyard x 20' 1 ea.
Outhaul Line 3/16" Halyard x 7' 1 ea.
Downhaul Line - 18 3/16" Halyard x 5' 1 ea.
Downhaul Line - 18SX 3/16" Halyard x 7' 1 ea.
Jib Luff Tensioner 1/8" Flag Halyard x 5' 6" 1 ea.
Mast Rotation Control 3/16" Halyard x 3' 1 ea.
Jib Furler Assy Line 1/8" Flag Halyard x 17' 1 ea.
Boom Shockcord 1/4" Shockcord x 7' 1 ea.
Storage Cover Line 5/16" Spun Braid x 1' 7" 2 ea.
Daggerboard Shockcord 1/4" Shockcord x 3' 10" 2 ea.
Daggerboard Handles 7/16" Spun Braid x 2' 6" 2 ea.
Jibsheet Tangle Prev. 1/4" Shockcord x 4' 6" 1 ea.
Center Tramp Lace 1/4" Halyard x 13' 1 ea.
Aft Tramp Lace Line 1/4" Halyard x 15' 2 ea.
Wing Tramp Lacing Line 3/16" Halyard x 32' 2 ea.
Trap Shockcord 1/4" Shockcord x 7'w/1 Loop 4 ea.
Trap Adjustment 1/4" Yacht-Single x 3' 6" 4 ea.
Batten Tie 1/12" Flag Halyard x 1' 6" 10 ea.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for you help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello and welcome! Congrats on your new boat! I'm sure you'll find the Hobie 18 a fast and exciting boat to sail! Any questions you have, don't hesitate to post them on here, theres a great community available to answer your questions :D

#78 and #79 are one piece. They are the jib block (78) and becket (79). The jib sheet is tied to the becket, then run through the sheave on the jib, then back to the jib block. The other end does the same, and as MMiller said, the jib sheet is one piece. If you pull on one side, you'll sheet the jib in to port. Release that block and pull in on the other side of the jib sheet, and you'll sheet the jib in to starboard.

Not sure if you're going based on the diagram or going by what's on your boat... In the diagram, the line coming off the jib blocks is just the jib sheet (not shown very clearly). If your boat has a line that ties them together under the trampoline, then this was a personal "tweak" added by the previous owner. Basically, the jib blocks can have a tendancy to flop or twist around when the jib is sheeted in the opposite side, making it more difficult to sheet in on the other side after tacking. The line under the trampoline keeps the blocks from "flopping" around on you. I've never really had a problem with it, but others have, so that could be what it is and why it's there.

As far as your righting line/system, there are a few different styles, each rigged a little differently. The basic principle is the same, however. You just need the line to be available and able to stretch out and let you lean back out over the water when righting, and stay retracted and out of the way while sailing. From the sounds of it, you have the "easy-up" style system, or some sort of custom arrangement. I'm not terribly familiar with that style, hopefully someone else can come along and explain the rigging of it to you. You ought to get a copy of the Hobie parts & accessories catalog if you haven't yet. I always end up needing to replace parts throughout the season. You can request a copy for free under "support."

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
The cross over "string" was 3/6" shock cord to help keep the blocks facing the weather side. Otherwise they spin.

Does anyone have a picture of this? I've never seen one and I think it might be worth adding for the sake of my "non-sailor" crew who are constantly finding new things to tangle the jibsheet with (despite the heroic-but-futile efforts of the jibsheet preventer).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a pic, but can describe.

First off, this is only applicable to the OEM vinyl tramp which has the necessary grommets. On the mesh tramp you would need to add the grommets. Anyway, there is a small grommet near the middle of each tramp half. You tie off a bungee cord to the fairlead on the cleat of your jib ratchet block. Then pass the bungee through the grommet, under the tramp, and back out the other side, tieing off to the opposite fairlead. The bungee keeps the jib cleats pointing inwards. The system can limit how far forward you're able to slide the jib cars and the bungee will also tend to go slack if you slide the cars all the way back, but on the 18, 99% of the time you will run the jib cars towards the middle of the track anyway. If you want to make it so you can slide the cars all the way in the track, you woild need to set up some pulleys under the tramp so you can add more bungee.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to try it, Cam-cleat fairleads bungeed together via the grommets... I've wondered why those grommets were there, but never asked.

How many inches of pre-stretch would you start with? I'm assuming very little when the cars are closest to the grommets?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure if the grommets were actually intended for this reason or if they were placed there to help with drainage. Anyway, I would put the cars where you normally sail with them and then tension the bungee. 99% of the time, the jib blocks on the 18 are in the middle or maybe slightly aft of middle. If you put the cars at the back of the track and tension the bungee, there's no way you will be able to slide them all the way forward unless you add some pulleys and extra bungee under the tramp so you can get more travel.

sm