Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The bushing shaft for the rollers, Hobie Part #61830000, it looks like there is some flaring tool to attach the new ones. I had assumed they screwed on in some fashion but they look like they cannot be reused and you must buy new ones and roll/flare the edge down around the car body similar to a rivet. What tool should I use for that? I have a cone shaped punch I could begin the process with but I dont think thats how its supposed to be done.

Anyone done this? My rollers were shot so I bought new ones only to find I cant reuse the shafts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shafts for the traveler car rollers (or slugs) are just clevis pins. There is a long cotter pin that passes through the clevis pins and holds the two pins into the traveler car body. Remove the cotter pin, pull out the clevis pins, and swap the new rollers onto the clevis pins. Install the pins the same way you removed them. There is no need for any special tools.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats not the rollers. Thats the slug sliders. When you pull the cotter pin out and slide the slug shafts out what you are left with is the "body" you refer to which is http://www.murrays.com/50-61830000.html

Thats the axle the rollers are mounted to and it is installed by sliding it into the main traveler plate and rolling the edge down to permanently lock it in place. I see no way to remove it but by drilling it out and installing a new one. Only problem is I'm not sure the exact tool you use to roll the edge down. I'm sure I could do it but it would be kinda mangled.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, it's the "roller skid". Does it actually do anything? I've never even really looked at it before now and never hav any inclination to replace it.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

The skid prevents damage to the crossbar when the car tips forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took a closer look at my traveler car/rear crossbar and I can not see how those rollers do anything. They don't make contact with any part of the crossbar regardless of how the traveler is tilted. I would save yourself a lot of hassle and just leave them as is.

sm