Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a Hobie 18SX and since it is being stored outside I'd like to keep it covered. I know sun/UV is harmful to the trampoline but should I also be looking to cover the hulls? What size tarp would you recommend to cover the tarps and hulls? Mind you the tarp would need to go over the wings/mast as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie actually sells a fantastic boat cover for $249. It's probably overkill for older boats that aren't in as good of shape, but for a boat as new and pristine as yours, I think it's definitely a worthwhile investment! See Part No. 314-17TO18, page 30 of the 2015 catalog.

You could probably have something similar made if you wanted to account for the wings, as I'm not sure how well it'd work with those. I'd try to keep the boat covered any time it's sitting on the trailer. My father keeps his 11 year old 27' boat covered, and everything from the vinyl to the gelcoat looks pristine. The vinyl especially continues to last where it otherwise would've likely deteriorated and cracked by now.

Also, a common storage solution in the winter is to disassemble the boat and store the hulls, sails, trampoline and rigging indoors. This isn't as complicated as it may sound. You should remove standing & running rigging and the trampoline during any extended periods that the boat will not be in use (especially in the winter), as this will greatly prolong their useful life. After that's done, it's 8 simple bolts to remove the crossbars from the hulls. Hulls weight ~100-120 lbs each, and can be carried by 2 people into a garage or basement. All in, disassembly / reassembly of the whole boat shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours. I'm actually going to start doing this with my boat, as I suspect that the outdoor storage in the winter has contributed to my now annual soft spot problem. Fiberglass boats don't like freezing temperatures.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't give you specific tarp dimensions, but do have a couple comments.

Full coverage of the hulls and tramp will definitely keep your boat looking nice. The previous owner of my 1990 H18 had full tramp and hull covers (trailerable) and it shows. The cover is now basically shot from the 25 years of UV damage, but the hulls still look very good for their age. I also have full hull covers for my H17 and the hulls still look new after 8 years.

If you go with just a large tarp draped across the mast, one thing I would warn you about is water/snow weight. Unless the tarp is pulled very tight, it will have a tendency to collect rain water, and if enough water builds up, it can bend your mast like a tooth pick. I recommend you punch a couple holes in the tarp to allow water to drain. Also, in the winter time, be very mindful of snow accumulation on tarps. This weight can really add up and cause damage to your mast or hulls.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SabresfortheCup wrote:
Hobie actually sells a fantastic boat cover for $249. It's probably overkill for older boats that aren't in as good of shape, but for a boat as new and pristine as yours, I think it's definitely a worthwhile investment! See Part No. 314-17TO18, page 30 of the 2015 catalog.

You could probably have something similar made if you wanted to account for the wings, as I'm not sure how well it'd work with those. I'd try to keep the boat covered any time it's sitting on the trailer. My father keeps his 11 year old 27' boat covered, and everything from the vinyl to the gelcoat looks pristine. The vinyl especially continues to last where it otherwise would've likely deteriorated and cracked by now.

Also, a common storage solution in the winter is to disassemble the boat and store the hulls, sails, trampoline and rigging indoors. This isn't as complicated as it may sound. You should remove standing & running rigging and the trampoline during any extended periods that the boat will not be in use (especially in the winter), as this will greatly prolong their useful life. After that's done, it's 8 simple bolts to remove the crossbars from the hulls. Hulls weight ~100-120 lbs each, and can be carried by 2 people into a garage or basement. All in, disassembly / reassembly of the whole boat shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours. I'm actually going to start doing this with my boat, as I suspect that the outdoor storage in the winter has contributed to my now annual soft spot problem. Fiberglass boats don't like freezing temperatures.

I've just ordered the 2015 Hobie catalog so I'll take a look. I think you're right that the extra money is well worth the investment. But I'm wondering how it will fit over the wings. This cover looks similar: http://www.murrays.com/29-01.html. Any experience or comments on it?

Thanks the winter storage advice. I hadn't yet decided what I'd be doing for the winter but I think you've convinced me to disassemble the cat and store it to avoid the harsh elements of a Minnesotan winter. Also makes it easier to take care of a few winter project (upgrades, repairs, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks to be pretty much the same cover. I'm curious about srm's trailerable hull covers (unless I'm misunderstanding him), as the Hobie/Murray's cover are not meant to stay on when trailering the boat. Probably a custom setup. Could be worthwhile if you expect to trailer long distances, to protect the hulls from road debris, but otherwise I'd think the two previously mentioned should be fine. Couldn't say how well they'd work with wings though.