Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know what the correct spreader position for the SX is? Here is the reason for my question. I have a stock hobie 18. My buddy has the SX. The boats were sitting next to each other and the spreaders on the SX seem to be angled forward versus my stock hobie 18 where the spreader looks "normal". Is SX spreader position forward correct for the SX? My instinct was to adjust it the same as my 18, however when looking at the spreaders with the mast down there are 2 holes which allow for the spreaders to be raked forward or backward depending on where one places the pins. Is there a reason the SX wants the spreaders raked forward?

I am guessing this makes a difference when adjusting the main downhaul etc. Does the forward position assume a spinnaker? Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The H18 and H18SX have the same spreaders. Most sailors do not adjust spreader rake and just leave it on the after-most setting, but it is something that is adjustable. Raking forward allows the diamond wires to stiffen the mast further, raking them aft lessens the effect slightly. The difference is minor, diamond wire tension is far more important. Essentially, the original intent was to rake forward for more power, rake aft for less, but like I said, the difference is small, and adjusting the rake is too labor intensive for too little difference for most to even worry about it. Check out Phil Berman's Hobie 18 Performance Manual for more information: http://www.murrays.com/45-0031.html

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info