Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed Chris, especially if you've seen an I-14 zoom ahead of you with its 45 sq metre spin,
or been overtaken by a 49'er. I'm too old to sail those rocket ships.

I'd love to join you on your J105 in good wind....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

those were the days John. the owner retired/sold the J105 a few years ago.

my skipper now sails the J109, about 4000 lbs more displacement (12,000 total), no planing!

its an interesting trick for me, switching back and forth between my H18 and the J109. sometimes I forget how to treat the apparent wind! though the 55' mast with 108 SM spin is good fun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good point Chris, I wasn't really considering the higher performance racing/planing boats so much as your typical displacement monohull/cruiser - J36's and R-boats and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an H18 without spin and an F18 with spin. Not quite your combination of H18 with spin, so my advice may not apply to your situation.

On the F18, and assuming you're in double-trap conditions, as we come close to the A mark ~50-75yrs out, I (as skipper) stay on the wire and move back, get my foot in the footstrap and play the main sheet to manage boat heel. Crew comes in ~20-30yds before the mark and releases cunningham, rotation, jib, and pulls spin tack to the end of the pole. Depending on wind speed (lighter = earlier), crew is hoisting spin while I come in off the wire. How deep I steer depends on wind speed and crew strength :). As soon as I come in I'm raising the dagger and sheeting in the main to about 90% of upwind trim while the crew is sheeting in the spin and we're immediately heating up to get the apparent wind machine going again.

Advantage to this strategy is to keep the hull flying and boat speed up through the transition. Skipper can keep his "head out of the boat" and the crew attends to the details. I'm a big believer in delegating tasks to the crew so the skipper can focus on steering a proper course, avoiding marks, other boats, etc. Not so easy with green crew, but works amazingly well with experienced crew.

I don't travel out at all on the main. To keep boat speed up, jibes are as quick as possible, but not so fast that the crew gets ejected from the boat.

We've done jibe-sets as well- timing is usually immediately after I come in off the wire while crew is finishing the hoist and getting ready to sheet in. Communication is key here.

H18 is much simpler, I've usually managed bear-aways with the traveler. But I have to admit I haven't raced it in several years and was never confused with a "good" H18 sailor.

cramsailing.com