Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 18SX
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have debated selling my 2003 Hobie 18sx. The boat is in excellent condition. I have to many sailboats in my yard and have to short a season. But the 18sx is an amazing boat. What would be a fair price for this boat?

Marty
Hobie 18SX
Hobie 16
Hobie Tandem Island
Macgregor 26S

Post subject: Re: Hobie 18SX
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i think most significant factors would be"
1) actual condition under close inspection; sails, hulls, tramp, trailer, rigging,etc.
2) accessibility to buyers; IE; boat is not in Hawaii, etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:12 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

MartyH wrote:
2003 Hobie 18sx.

I didn't think Hobie made the SX (with the longer wings, taller mast and Mylar sails) past 1995 (it was introduced in 1989).

Is this an 18SE (shorter mast, Dacron sails) with SX wings?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat has no value. Tell me your address and I'll come haul it away for you... :D

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with raisehull, the condition of the boat and location is key. If it's a great boat but it's in Colorado, or if it's got bad hulls in California, it's not worth much.

Really, the trick is finding the right buyer. Someone who really wants an 18SX, and in an area where they're not too common (usually not an issue with an SX).

Like Matt said, it's probably either an 18SE with SX wings, or it has a retrofitted SX mast, sails, rigging, etc. The original SX sails were mylar I believe, and would have probably deteriorated by now, so if it is an SX, it probably has custom dacron or mylar sails (I don't even think Hobie makes SX sails anymore, except maybe special order). If it's on fresh water and stored inside during the winter, all the fittings and parts are probably near mint condition. Otherwise, perhaps some light corrosion and some wear & tear.

A very good H18SE with SX wings from the early 1980's can go for ~$2500 in the great lakes region, perhaps more or less on the east/west coast, where they're more abundant and don't last as long (salt water).

A good H18SE with SX wings from the 90's and 2000's could probably go for up to ~$10,000, IF you find a buyer willing to pay that much. If not, you might luck out and get $4,000-$6,000 for it. If it's got an SX mast, sails & rigging, that might be worth a little more or a little less, depending on how badly the person wants an SX rig or if they want to ditch the SX rig and use it for class racing.

A boat like that, you're lucky to find a handful of people in the country that want it badly enough to put up big money for it, and they know that just as well as you do (and most of them are probably on this forum). So really, the better question is what's it worth to you, what could you let it go for?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
MartyH wrote:
2003 Hobie 18sx.

I didn't think Hobie made the SX (with the longer wings, taller mast and Mylar sails) past 1995 (it was introduced in 1989).

Is this an 18SE (shorter mast, Dacron sails) with SX wings?

I, too, have a 2003 18SX, with the longer wings and Mylar sails. It was hardly used, kept covered indoors and practically showroom condition, and paid $7,000 for it 3.5 years ago, including a trailer and harnesses. I keep it covered indoors in Michigan for all but two weeks a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I keep it covered indoors in Michigan for all but two weeks a year.

Time to move south brother!!
Here in Memphis we keep our boats covered the 2 weeks of winter only lol....... we usually sail year round... there's a good chance of daytime temps over 60 degrees once a month even in the dead of winter here in the midsouth! N Mississippi...

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.