Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would be curious to see if he laced the bolt rope for the front tramp into the same track in the front beam as the main tramp or if its just stitched to the main tramp.

I don't think theres much extra room in the beam for a second rope but I havent really checked. That would be easy to do and sew together if you get the tramp material.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That forward tramp has got to make for an interesting experience if you ever stick the bow into a wave. I think Hobie generally uses open netting for their forward tramps. I would think by using a tight mesh, you would get some serious deceleration when that thing goes under. It looks sharp though. I'm also curious how they connected it to the main (center) crossbar and the hull rails.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The hull rails would be easy as you could just use the same rails the main uses you'd just have to cut them shorter. Just sew in a rope like the main tramp uses and slide it into the track.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's certainly a very tidy build and from this photo it appears that both tramp bolt ropes have been threaded through the forward cross bar. It would be a tight squeeze but looks good.

This is another photo on the current advertisement which shows the same boat with some load on both trampolines. For a casual sail in the bay with little swell it would be perfect. I guess when the winds and swell pickup you would be moving everybody aft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt15 I wish I knew how that was done. That would be absolutely perfect for dropping the sail and having some drinks in the sun in the middle of the Keys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that's a very interesting setup. I'd love to go for a sail on it! I think you wouldn't want to really push it with that, for the aforementioned problem if you catch a wave over the leeward bow & crossbar, but it'd be great for a "slow" cruise or a daysail!

The wings are also a custom build, very interesting. It honestly looks like someone was in the business of building aftermarket parts for the H18! I note that they also raised the boom on the mast for a little more headroom. I have to wonder if they cut down the mainsail to make it work.

The forward crossbar seems to have been bolted to the holes that typically hold the bow tangs for the bridle wires, and the bridle wires have been pinned to a new pair of chainplates which are somehow pinned to the forward crossbar. It looks like the forward trampoline itself is identical to the main trampoline, and that rather than lacing to a small strip of vinyl (like at the rear crossbar) they simply took their lacing through each of the grommet holes and wrapped the line around the forward crossbar.

I think I'm most impressed with the custom built wings, as nobody has really been able to replicate the production of H18 wings since Hobie stopped producing them. These, however, are very clearly a custom build (or aftermarket), rather than a modified set of magnum wings. To be honest, that looks like a cleaner and less complicated installation for wings than the Hobie design, which require trimming of the trampoline and are a lot of work to fit to the boat (the "hinge" location being at the forward end of the crossbar makes everything more complicated, from how precisely they need to be bent in fabrication to fitting them to the boat afterwards).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Taking more note about the H18 since buying one i've noticed here in Australia afew sets of wings that don't match the Hobie magnum or SX styles. Also too this is advertised as a H18SX but fitted with standard sails which explains why the boom is higher - but works well for the use.

I have the double bowtang on my H18 which works well for the spinnaker and front spreader/crossbar. I can't see exactly how he's installed his but might be something similar??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suppose it could be an SX mast with standard sails. I'm pretty sure that in the US, the Hobie 18SX was only ever sold with black anodized aluminum mast & crossbars, not the clear anodized aluminum seen in the pictures, but perhaps different options were available in Australia. Similarly, perhaps Hobie, or another cat company/aftermarket place, sold some different style wings in Australia. These are similar to the magnum wing design as far as the seat is concerned, but connect to the crossbars very differently than either magnum or SX wings in the US. I believe that the wings also were only ever sold in black anodized aluminum in the US.

Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like his forward bridle wires connect to the bow tangs at all. It looks like the bridles themselves have been shortened significantly, and are pinned to something else that then is attached to the crossbar.

Not sure if anyone else knows more about the differences from H18's in the US vs. Australia, but either way, definitely an interesting arrangement! All that extra space has got to make for a great cruising boat when the winds are a little light!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting about the black anno vrs silver. He lists the H18 as an SX but i have no idea. Still i'm really keen to see this cat join my local group so fingers crossed the buyer sails with us so i can inspect these mods closer.