Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A stronger mast step
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you tired of breaking mast steps? Wish there was something better or stronger? If there was, what would you be willing to pay for what could possibly be the last step you ever have to buy?

I am working with a local machine shop, and depending on what y'all say, they may become available through me.

Post subject: Re: A stronger mast step
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

0rion85 wrote:
Are you tired of breaking mast steps? Wish there was something better or stronger? If there was, what would you be willing to pay for what could possibly be the last step you ever have to buy?

I am working with a local machine shop, and depending on what y'all say, they may become available through me.

The mast step or the mast step hinge? I didn't know anyone broke the mast step. The cast mast step attached to the mast is supposed to be sacrificial I thought to avoid damaging the mast step or mast base if the mast falls off to the side when stepping.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never broken either, but I have worried that any accidental "twist" or "rocking" to the side of the mast could break the cast hinge and/or mating cast mast base. An alternative might be more trouble to change out than it's worth, however.

My (2 rivet) mast base did start to lift up due to some loose/old rivets, however. Replaced that a few years ago following srm's procedure to seat it well on the crossbar. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade considering the much more secure mast base bearing on the newer, 4 rivet style.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been sailing the H18 for roughly 30 years and only recall ever seeing (in person) one broken mast hinge. If you're breaking them on a regular basis, you're doing something wrong - probably allowing the mast to swing off to the side when raising/lowering. I'd recommend you get a second person help you handle the mast and/or use a winch to assist.

An alternative might be to try to adapt a H17/H20 mast ball/step to the H18, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes the mast step hinge is what I'm speaking of. I remember someone posting that their local dealer keeps them in stock for him.

But no one has answered my question regarding the cost,or what they would pay for a stronger one. Yes I have proven two in the last 6 months,and I know what caused it.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

0rion85 wrote:

But no one has answered my question regarding the cost,or what they would pay for a stronger one.

You are asking what someone will pay for a stronger one but the question should be does anyone want a stronger one. If I screwed up raising the mast I would prefer the hinge to break rather than damaging the mast step or the base of the mast. The last hinge I broke was 27 years ago and I have been caring around a spare hinge around for 27 years which I doubt I will ever use. So to answer your questions, they sell for $45, most people are not going pay anymore and most would rather have the hinge break than damage their mast base or mast step which are a hell of a lot more headache to repair.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.