Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We had a Class of 7 boat race this weekend at the Rudder Club. Great weather this past weekend, good wind and a blast to have a class, which I have not seen in a long, long time.

If you have an 18 in Florida, clean it up and join us.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

May this number of 18s be a regular thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like you need a few more people for the boats you have. Crewless skippers and furled jibs. Where is the Rudder Club? I might have my boat down there in March.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guinness wrote:
Looks like you need a few more people for the boats you have. Crewless skippers and furled jibs. Where is the Rudder Club? I might have my boat down there in March.

Rudder Club is in Jacksonville, Florida. In the picture we are waiting for next race to start. All the boats had 2 crew. Let us know when you are coming and join us for some fun. Since I posted this picture, another Club Member purchased an 18 with another one trying to get one over the weekend.

Our Club has a large Flying Scot fleet. I am trying to bring back the catamarans. I picked the Hobie 18 to try and build a Class around as it is a very forgiving boat to sail for beginners. In big wind it can be as exciting as any catamaran. Also because it is an older design and therefore a little heavy by today's (carbon fiber overload) standards, they can be repaired and still be competitive for Class Racing purposes.

It simply amazes me, that a 30+ year old sail and boat can still fly around the race course giving as much fun as any boat out there.

However (this is the big one) the number one reason is for the Hobie 18 is the colorful sails. Nothing says "Having Fun Sailing" like a fleet of colorful Hobies.

"Long Live the Hobie 18's" :lol:

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guinness wrote:

Yea it was my crews job to go sit on the opposite hull and hang off the side so I could have fun and fly a hull while they tried to not fall off. :D That's fair right...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TAMUmpower wrote:
Yea it was my crews job to go sit on the opposite hull and hang off the side so I could have fun and fly a hull while they tried to not fall off. :D That's fair right...

Haha, I did the exact same thing at the last race I attended! With a half hour between starts, why not have some fun!? All the other boats were bunched up getting ready for the next race... had me wondering what kind of Hobie Cat sailors were so focused on racing that they weren't interested in some good ol' fashioned hull flying! :lol:

And besides that, it helped me figure out that the wind was quickly filling in on the right side of the course. The only downside to the hull flying was that anyone watching me probably figured it out, too. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TAMUmpower wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Low side sailing!! I practice hull flying in summer when the winds are low by sailing on the lee side. Makes it pretty fun. Prefer to get the crew down there but sometimes I helm from the lee side. Hard to do. I usually crash it. Have fun. I sailed last winter on the St Johns River. It was pretty fun. Was alone and didn't want to go out on the ocean.