Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo Smiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My regular crew and potential substitutes were otherwise engaged, so I took the 18 out for the first time single-hand. Less weight did not suck. :D
I knew I could up-rig and down-rig solo, my concerns were more for trailer-to-sail transition (and back), dumping/righting, and water temperature.

Rigging went slower than usual on my own, and I had to put the jib up and down several times due to a fat-fingered flub on the jib tensioner pulley and line. Other than that, I was ready to launch without much trouble. Fine-tuning on pulling up the masts with the mainsheet/blocks, stabilized with twist-tensioned trap lines, and started from the don’t-tread step of a ladder… all that has really taken the drama out of standing up the mast. I launched from the Hobie Cove parking lot at Folsom Lake, which has even less slope than the 5-degree ramp over at Granite Bay, and there was about three feet solid of beached driftwood ringing the lake and blocking launch. I flipped the larger pieces out of the way to clear a path, then backed the boat and the car over the remaining small pieces and into the water far enough that the exhaust was burbling a little with the door seals were all above water. Since I was launching with the Subaru instead of the truck, the boat’s angle was actually a little nose-down, but the H18 weighs so little that she slid back, rocked nose up a rather surprising amount, and slid off, no worries. I was thinking I’d nose the boat up on the wood ‘shore’ but slope/draft prevented that, and I ‘beached’ gently on the asphalt (no waves, head-to-wind) to hoist the sail and do final prep.

I lifted the bridles and floated the boat off the asphalt beach with minimal scraping, and walked her out to about two feet of depth, then pushed off, hopped on… and almost immediately realized that I left the tiller extension in the box. With 8mph average winds and gusts not predicted past 13, I pushed on. The resulting sailing session was fabulous, once I figured out where most of the flotsam was floating and sailed to avoid it. There were big ‘fields’ of small bits that almost looked like tidal divides, but Folsom Lake lacks tide. With all the heavy rains, there are lots of floaters, and State Parks has apparently contracted with a vendor for removal soon, but this sailing trip was slalom, braille, and rudder/dagger clearing until I got out closer to the dam where the wind seemed to have cleared most of the flotsam. When I got out there, though… it was glorious. I had a steady breeze with a few puffs, and plenty of chance to really fine-tune the sails. Traveled out a little and sheeted in hard, I had the main tell-tales reliable streaming, and was playing with balancing the upper and lower jib tell-tales… and the windward hull kept gently rising and skipping along. I’m not sure if the low overall crew weight, the steady wind, or the closer attention paid to the sails was the key, but damn, that was peaceful, powerful, and FUN! The jib was harder to keep tuned, but the mainsail was really easy to keep pulling throughout… just a little tension in the outhaul and moderate downhaul to banish sail wrinkles. A couple of the puffs provided enough air under the hull to make me a little nervous, but dumping the mainsheet solved that problem.

The water was a little colder than I wanted to dive into, and I haven’t righted this boat solo yet, so I stayed really conservative. I also couldn’t hop up on the wings with the tiller extension ashore, so I had a mellow but speedy afternoon/evening cruise. What a blast! With the mama-bob at the mast top, I wasn’t worried about going fully turtle, and while I have my righting bag, line, and blocks, I was happy not to need them. After a few hours but all too soon, I saw the evening sun reflecting low angles off the shore windows, and headed in. I furled the jib, pulled up the daggerboards, pulled the ridder mostly up (sometimes the drag in that system is handy, but I mostly worry about the boards not kicking up when needed) and coasted in.

Retrieving the boat was even easier than the put-in... I let it drift about 20’ short of shore, splashed in to grab a 6’ chunk of driftwood and chocked a front bow. With three repeats of the same, I had the boat sitting almost out of the water on driftwood blocks, and no worries about asphalt abrasions. I backed the trailer and car through the previously-cleared slot in the driftwood, stopped with the doorsills just out of the water, and deployed the nose wheel to help with the trailer angle. With the jack topped out, I still had maybe 6 inches of lift for the bows. I went and pulled the boat back off the driftwood blocks (fiberglass slides plenty easy on wet wood once you push past the initial drag) and lifted/nosed it onto the rear rollers. I hooked up the winch and guided her up, stopping a couple of times to check roller and guide alignement and to straighten the boat against the breeze. I should have backed the trailer into more of an angle, but it wasn’t much of an issue.

It is definitely quicker to down-rig with help, but it was relaxing to enjoy the sunset and make sure everything was secure.

Being able to solo the H18 opens up weeknight sailing whether crew is available or not… this is going to be a great year!

Randii

Post subject: Re: Solo Smiles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Randii,
Good to hear you had a fun day at Folsum. Have you considered joining Fleet 2 (Sacramento Area)or Fleet 20 (Stockton Area)? I was with Fleet 20 at New Hogan last weekend 5 Hobie's and a laser.

Here’s the link to the Division 3 racing schedule http://div3.hobieclass.com/regattas/ Bring your boat to Wet n Wild at Woodward Res in May is a lot of fun race or fun sail. We rent the group campsite and camp next to the boats.

It kind of nice to have others around when the unexpected happens or if you need a part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not joined a Fleet yet... I have considered it. Thanks for sharing the schedule... that'll help!

I'm headed out again this Friday -- taking the day off. 18mph steady breeze predicted, with puffs into the high 20s. I can hardly wait!

Randii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget your tiller extension this time. Have fun.

I enjoy solo sailing. It helps you to figure out how to get out of messes when they happen since sailing alone typically has rigging issues or other "stuff" that a crew would have helped not happen. Sure crew is good to help hold the windward ama down and have someone to chat with and help rig/derig the boat faster.

Racing was fun. It isn't something I do anymore for a few reasons. It did get me out on the water routinely. It helped me figure out the better ways to sail the boat in zephyrs, in light wind, normal wind and when it would probably have been smarter to stay ashore. The biggest reason I don't race anymore is that you find out how poorly your boat performs compared to other boats (multihulls don't point well compared to keelboats for example; in light wind waterline length is more important than SA/D; multihulls like big wind or zephyr sailing....yadda yadda). Racing solo was challenging and exhausting, mentally and physically.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tpdavis473 wrote:
Don't forget your tiller extension this time.

I'll be blown over for sure if I do on Friday!

It has been my experience that going solo on 4x4, dirt bike, hike, and snow-board has been a blast, and it engenders self-reliance... the trick is to not color so far outside the lines that the Universe feels the need to set an example of me. Packing a figurative parachute is generally a good idea, and is one of the reasons why I have my ham license and a Calstar/Reach membership. Sailing inland lakes, my parachute is my PFD and a paddle, and I also keep a double-waterproofed phone aboard. If worse comes to worse, I can always drift ashore.

I'm not sure about one-design racing, as I love to fiddle/modify, but I'll not discount it until I try it a few times. I know there's a lot I can learn from others, and I've never failed to have fun BS-ing around a campfire with like-minded folk in *any* hobby. I know I certainly had a blast crewing on a J30 out of Sausalito a few years back, but that was fun in context to the people on the boat we sailed, and the opportunity to sail bigger water... we hardly ever connected with the race committee or other boats. I imagine Hobie regattas are WAY more personal!

Randii (can't wait until Friday!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep up the good work. You are approaching everything with the right enthusiasm. There are no wrong ways to sail if you are enjoying yourself. To me solo sailors are a different breed than me. It takes way more drive and motivation to go it alone and actually follow through with what you are trying to do. I fail miserably at doing anything solo. Everything I do whether dirt biking, bicycling, or sailing seems to require pressure from others to have me join them in order to actually make it out on any given day. Best of luck on your adventures.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

randii wrote:
tpdavis473 wrote:
Don't forget your tiller extension this time.

I'll be blown over for sure if I do on Friday!

I might have been anticipating the future?

I towed out to Folsom Lake on Friday around noon with promises of nearly 20 mph average winds and gusts up to 30… my crew was due to meet me there about two. The day was looking good!

As I pulled in, three (!) younger guys were finishing rigging and were pulling out on an older H16. I talked a little with Rex about his boat, and then wished him well. I was rigging up and really noticing the gusts… and when I had just about everything but the mainsail up, my crew called and cancelled. Well, hell... I had the rudder extension bungied to the tramp and was ready to go!

I’d noticed the State Parks Patrol Boat pulled in and two folks walking across the parking lot with deployed inflatable jackets… not a good sign. They walked to an SUV with an empty boat trailer… further not-goodness. I finished rigging and the fella walked over to chat – apparently he had been out in his dual-masted square-rigged mini-tallship and had been blown over during a jybe. The boat-cops tried to tow it upside down (wince) to no avail, and partially fouled their motor in so doing. About that time, I saw one of the Hobie fellas walking back from around the point, no Hobie in sight. Also not a good sign. Meanwhile, my 18 was dancing on the trailer… nose into the wind, but with variable gusts, she wanted to *GO*. I sat on the tramp and thought it out… and the two other fellas from the H16 traipsed back in by foot, again, with no Hobie in sight. I talked to Rex – they’d been dismasted, and swam the boat to shore, but somehow lost touch with it. It blew away and was drifting across the lake. I walked down to talk to the boat-cops, and joked about whether they were willing to rescue a third sailor today, which they didn’t think was particularly funny. With the wind blowing even harder, I walked back to my boat and dropped the mainsail, hoping the wind might abate a bit (not my normal hope here in the Central Valley).

The Hobie guys walked up to the deep-water power-boat launch and recruited some assistance… Rex was able to retrieve and tow his H16 in, so that ended well. Damage appears to have been limited to a lost sidestay pin and its ring-ding. The patrol boat was pulled off on its trailer, probably headed to the mechanic. The mini-tallship was still on the water at that time, but I heard later that the skipper had recruited the boat tow out of Brown’s Ravine at Folsom Lake Marina to help with his boat. Second-hand information is that the tallship was secured as well as it could be on the rocky shore (ouch) with the plan to come back later when the wind wasn’t blowing so hard. The boat was home-built, so hopefully can be home-repaired – maybe I’ll see it out again on a day with less wind.

OK, ok, ok… I’m dense, but I took Mother Nature’s hints. With no boats visible on the water, the boat cops gone (and possibly broken), two sailboats in the drink for the day, my crew stuck at an emergency board meeting, and Corkguy's swimmer picture above, I packed up my boat and drove home. Looking at Windfinder.com’s data, the gusts kept increasing up to a peak of 40mph at 6pm. Going home was the right decision, but by no means an easy one!

If I had crew, I probably would have gone… and might have wound up regretting that. Monday-morning quarterbacking, I find myself wondering if I had the skills to stay upright.

Randii

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is definitely such a thing as too much wind. I've solo'd my 18 in winds up to 20 mph, and I've even pitchpoled it with crew sailing against the current in a 30+mph gust. I'd say gusts of 40 are really outside the realm of what the Hobie 18 was designed to reasonably handle. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but such a light boat with so much sail area, it's certainly dangerous. If you were determined to do it right, you'd want to have your crew with you to hold the boat down, be ready to sheet out and head up at a moment's notice, and be equipped with a mainsail that can be reefed. With gusts to 40mph, all you're going to do is heel the boat and probably break something with the full ~200 sq ft mainsail. Decreasing sail area actually allows you to get more speed, because you're not wasting that extra lift as heeling force and getting hit by the increased drag that comes with it.

But if it makes you feel any better, the America's Cup boats would've given up long before you did, so you've already got them beat! :lol:

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Part of the fun is tinkering I'm on H18 SX #1596 Delta Ditch Run 2015 near the start. I flipped once that day the guy next to me flipped 6 times! The wind kept building all day which is a reverse of normal once in the ditch its hard to bail out.

Sailing Solo on a calm lake is one thing. Sailing Solo on a lake with wind over 20 knots its best to have friends around, Sailing solo above 30 have your life insurance in force.
I like my boat and try to treat it well, but its tried to kill me on more than one occasion. 2015 Delta Ditch, 2014 North Americans at Columbia river George, 2010 North Americans at Mohave, 2015 North American at Avila, 2011 Hobie Division 3 Points Regatta Sausulito 42 boats sailed out 36 capsized some multiple times.
Skipshot wrote:
Karl Brogger wrote:
I hear you guys had some wild weather?

Yep. On Saturday the Coast Guard picked up someone, someone else was separated from his boat and was picked up by a passing ferry boat, sails were blown, the course seemed to be constantly littered with capsized or turtled boats, and getting back to the committee boat where the wind was said to be 30 knots was a relief. Two boats didn't report back in and caused concern but were later found over a mile away from the launch at the YC running up bar tabs. Lots of stories began with, "No sh**! There I was! Thought I was gonna die. . ."

Bring your boat to Ranco Seco this weekend and meet some of the Fleet 2 crowd. Call me if you have questions 707-363 - 6289

Best thing you can do is bring it to Wet N Wild at Woodward its the Best Northern California Hobie Regatta there is! You don't have to race just bring your boat and join the fun. May 20-21 NOR http://soarentsolutions.us/HobieDiv3/WnWildNOR2017.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

randii wrote:
...apparently he had been out in his dual-masted square-rigged mini-tallship and had been blown over during a jybe. The boat-cops tried to tow it upside down (wince) to no avail, and partially fouled their motor in so doing.

Here's that tall-ship. She wasn't in evidence on the shore yesterday, hopefully she got home with minimal damage.

My boat did not try to kill me yesterday, perhaps out of loyalty to me NOT putting in during Friday's blow-fest.

I am juggling commits and may try to make it down to Woodward...

Randii

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer to sail solo when the wind is just right.

Check out my other vids to see how to rig the 18 solo.

[youtube2]https://youtu.be/4bdUISO0tmc[/youtube2]

https://youtu.be/4bdUISO0tmc