Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First sail
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally got the 18 finished and in the water. Wind was 8 to 10 with lulls at 5 or so. It took me some time to get a handle on how to handle the boat well enough to keep it moving, most of the time. Still have to work on tacking technique Going to weather was a challenge for me. ( I normally sail a monohull)
I am looking forward to a lot of fun sailing on this boat.

Post subject: Re: First sail
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good to hear you made it on the water. 8-10 is enough wind to get a 18 moving, especially if you are solo. I recently got into sailing a 24' Windrose monohull, and it really is a completely different experience. Compared to the monohull, you should keep your H18 sails a lot flatter (downhaul and mainsheet tension). Also avoid pinching when sailing upwind, especially in lighter winds.

To improve your tacks, work on sail balance. Bring the main in tight as you start the tack and let it out as soon as you come about. Slowly haul it back in as you pick up speed. With the jib sail, leave it cleated until it starts to flutter, then bring it across as quick as you can.

The most important part of tacking is steering the right way... I am often temped to let the tiller free so that I can manage the sails with both hands. Turns out if the rudder is pointed the wrong way tacking is impossible. Keeping the rudder pointed in about the right direction is priority #1.

Good luck with your boat.

Post subject: Re: First sail
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your first sail! speed633 has some excellent advice. Cats don't have much momentum, so as soon as you start to tack your speed falls off quickly. My biggest "aha!" moment was in the realization that you need to let the main out slightly after crossing the wind, to prevent it from turning the boat into a weather vane. The jib also helps to push your bows down/away from the wind, once the bows have crossed the wind. It also helps to keep your weight forward until just before you start the turn, so you're not dragging your sterns and slowing the boat down coming into the tack.

For a newbie, I'd say wind speeds of 8-12 mph are just perfect. 12-16 gets you out on the trapeze if you're a bit lighter, or at least hiking out. Over 16 the boat can be a handful, but that's also where it's the most fun! Under 8 is frustrating if there's a lot of chop on the water (d@mn power boats! :x ), and under 5 it's tough to keep the boat moving, particularly downwind (not enough pressure on the sails to keep them full).

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238