Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie 18 hull decals - Recently stripped off old stripes on my 1982 Hobie 18 and looking for black, wide Hobie 18 decals, that say " Hobie Cat 18 "

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unfortunately I think the only way to get that decal is to have someone custom make one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you refering to the style script that was used in the 90s? Where the words "hobie cat" would be 6' long on the side of an 18 in a custom script.
In the early 90s I bought a smaller version of the lettering (2'+) from the dealer to put on my 16.
Since I have photographed it and with photo shop, I've removed the background and cleaned up the image. It took a lot of time to clean up the edges, as it seemed I was smoothing up waves that the original cutter had made.
It's a 36" long image @ 800dpi, file size of 8.17 MB. I'll be taking it into a vinyl sign shop soon to have larger logos made.
Last year I made the mistake of taking the wrong file to the shop @ 72dpi, instead of the 300dpi I had. So it resulted in rough edges @72. Looks fine at 30', but I figured I could do better.
So I started over and went as large as I could (800) and still work with it in photoshop.
The nice thing about doing your own is that you can choose any color vinyl. Last years were white on darker hulls.
I'll be doing different lengths for 3 boats. 42", 52" and 62". The 18 would be 72". The lettering is about 1/3 the length of the boat.
I'll see how it goes, I hope to have the lettering on the smallest boat by Mid July. I have some glasswork and will be redoing the gelcoat on the hulls first.
If you may be interested in a copy of my file, contact me.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cpnsoo wrote:
Are you refering to the style script that was used in the 90s? Where the words "hobie cat" would be 6' long on the side of an 18 in a custom script.
In the early 90s I bought a smaller version of the lettering (2'+) from the dealer to put on my 16.
Since I have photographed it and with photo shop, I've removed the background and cleaned up the image. It took a lot of time to clean up the edges, as it seemed I was smoothing up waves that the original cutter had made.
It's a 36" long image @ 800dpi, file size of 8.17 MB. I'll be taking it into a vinyl sign shop soon to have larger logos made.
Last year I made the mistake of taking the wrong file to the shop @ 72dpi, instead of the 300dpi I had. So it resulted in rough edges @72. Looks fine at 30', but I figured I could do better.
So I started over and went as large as I could (800) and still work with it in photoshop.
The nice thing about doing your own is that you can choose any color vinyl. Last years were white on darker hulls.
I'll be doing different lengths for 3 boats. 42", 52" and 62". The 18 would be 72". The lettering is about 1/3 the length of the boat.
I'll see how it goes, I hope to have the lettering on the smallest boat by Mid July. I have some glasswork and will be redoing the gelcoat on the hulls first.
If you may be interested in a copy of my file, contact me.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where I removed old decals on hulls I was left with 3 inch wide by 18 ft. mark where gelco was removed replies [email protected]. I was thinking of a black large HOBIE CAT 18 in middle of hull decal with one 2 inch wide stripe extending out either side of HOBIE CAT 18 for 8 feet along hull?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

remarks Robert_jennings&shaw.ca June 24, 2017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would be interested in receiving any preliminary Hobie 18 decal design you are planning replies [email protected] in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

for cleaner edges, you can trace it in Illustrator, it draws in vector. then it can be resized to any size and have perfect edges