Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me recommended spinnaker dimensions (luff, leach, foot, max mid girth) and fabric weight for a Hobie 18 Magnum. Spinnaker blocks will be at the base of the shrouds. We will be doing mostly recreational sailing with the family and not so much competitive sailing. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think a lot of that depends on what you're trying to do. I assume you're talking about a standard Hobie 18 rig, not an SX rig, and that you're looking for a custom asymmetrical spinnaker, not trying to match the dimensions of the spinnaker that was included with the Hobie 18SX. Do you have a spinnaker pole and a tang already set up on the mast, or are you looking for input on those as well?

I know that for a time Surf City Sailing sold a Hobie 18 spinnaker kit, and I believe some have retrofit their boat to use a Hobie Tiger spinnaker. There was a thread on here started a little over a year ago for folks looking to set up a spinnaker for the Hobie 18, using a spinnaker that Chip Buck with Whirlwind Sails had cut. I believe he was planning on making these to order. The thread has lots of great information on spinnaker setup, parts and equipment needed, etc. I'd highly recommend you check it out: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57416

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your reply, You sent some great intel with your link to a past posting. My Hobie project is not an SX. I believe it's a Hobie 18 magnum. Solid boat that I found on Craigslist that I'm going to give a complete makeover. I'm going to rig the spinnaker setup myself and believe I'm finding enough info online to figure it out. Your thread has some great additional information. I have an unused fiberglass mast from a Mistrel sailboat that can be cut down and should that be perfect for the bowsprit. For the spinnaker itself, I'm aiming for a flatter (more modern?), with the spin sheet blocks at the shroud base. I'll probably do a sailrite kit if I can give them the dimensions including girth to give them. Mt strategy for now is to build the rig, then give them the dimensions between tack, head and clew sheet blocks. Still learning ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy to help. I know TAMUmpower put a lot of time and research into the spinnaker thread, it really is almost a "how to" for setting up a spinnaker on a Hobie 18.

I'd highly recommend buying the spinnaker from whirlwind sails, for a couple reasons, not the least of which is their reputation for being a high quality "aftermarket" sailmaker. Their prices are very reasonable, and the quality of sails has been very highly spoken of throughout this forum. The guy that more or less runs the show there, Chip Buck, used to make sails for Hobie. They cut a lot of sails for catamarans, so they know the boat very well, and know how much shape to put in the sail. They have all the dimension in hand, and the spinnaker they make for you is something that has already been tried on a few other Hobie 18's at this point, so you have the benefit of knowing that it's been tested and won't likely require to be re-cut to remove any camber. I'm sure someone who's bought one of the spinnakers could tell you how they perform on the water.