Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a weather event (almost a tornado) come thru the marine and flipped my Hobie 18SX on its port side. Only damage that I have found so far is the port wing, which was snapped off from both mounting brackets (very clean breaks). After looking for wing parts and finding none, now thinking of have sleeves installed and TIG welding the wings back together.
Is this a feasible fix?
Besides finding a good weld shop, what do I need to know and aluminum, tubing used to make the wings (type, diameter, thickness,...)

Thanks in advance,
DC Shear
HC18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you say it broke off from the mounting brackets, do you mean the "endcaps" riveted into the legs of the wing broke off where the legs "hinge" from the hull?

If the caps broke right through the bolt hole that the wing is slid onto the stud that sticks out from the crossbar, welding them probably won't work. Those pieces are an aluminum casting, and welding cast material doesn't work. Cast material (be it aluminum or steel) is very brittle and porous, and any weld will crack away from the casting. However, the legs themselves are 6061 aluminum tubing, and you could very likely have some other end cap fabricated and welded or riveted to the end of the leg.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Super late reply to this but I had a similar incident on starboard wing of my SX. I found a local guy in Sea Isle City NJ who built the towers for sports fishing boats. he was able to TIG weld a sleeve around one of the wing tubes that broke and three seasons later it's showing no signs of wear.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There's a set of SX wings for sale on the beachcats right now for$350. Then you'd have a few legs to spare.