Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOBIE 18 Gooseneck
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RE Hobie 18 Gooseneck:

Just bought a used Hobie 18. While sailing to windward close hauled in a 15 knot breeze yesterday, my mast started turning so much it's "jack-knifing" the boom and appears to be putting undue stress on the gooseneck. Is this normal or is my mast doing something it shouldn't?
Seems to me the boom should be in line with the mast so they both rotate at the same angle. Maybe I'm missing something on the mast or I'm not adjusting the tack downhaul properly.
Help greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: HOBIE 18 Gooseneck
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 am 
Site Admin

There is a rotation control arm on the Hobie 18 that would be above the boom. The arm has a line that starts just aft on the boom then runs to the arm and back to a cleat on the boom. Tighter is less rotation. Up to 90 degrees is OK, but approx pointing at the aft corner when going upwind. 90 plus when going off the wind.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt:

No, mine does not have a rotator control arm. Must be an older boat (Sail #101). There's a tube cleat on the boom topside and and a small block riveted to the port side of the mast below the boom with a v-cleat on the opposite (stbd) side of the mast. That's pretty much it.

Paul
Lake Cowichan BC Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing wrong with your gooseneck, that is the way it is designed. The boom is supposed to be hinged at the mast so that the mast is allowed to rotate into the wind even with the boom pulled in tight. As matt mentioned, the mast rotator above the boom is used to limit mast rotation. There should be a short line that goes from an eye strap on the side of the boom through the end of the mast rotator bar and then through a jam cleat on the top of the boom. Tighten this line to reduce the amount of mast rotation, loosen it to increase the mast rotation.

Because of the way the mainsheet pulls the boom down and slightly forward, without the mast rotation line cleated the boom will always "jack-knife" the mast. This is by design.

Mast rotation is all about allowing the mast to bend to flatten the mainsail and reduce power. The shape of the mast is a lot easier to bend when the mast is rotated sideways than it is when the mast is fore & aft. The luff of the mainsail is cut at a curve, so when your mast stays straight, it forces your sail into a "wing" shape. If you pull the mast rotation line tight to allow less rotation of the mast, you will end up with a straighter mast and fuller sail with more power, but also more drag. The more rotation of the mast, the more easily the mast bends, resulting in less of a "wing" shape to the sail and a flatter sail overall, with less power, but also less drag. You also want the mast to be rotated just enough to allow a smooth entry into the wind. General rule of thumb is about 70 degrees of mast rotation upwind, and 90 plus degrees downwind.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gotta love those original knurled diamond turnbuckle lock nuts. You gotta have a real old 18 to ever see those still. Super convenient to adjust without a wrench.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, mine has those turnbuckles too. Sail number is 101 so any idea what year (or century) she may have been made?

Paul
Lake Cowichan, BC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first Hobie 18's went into production in 1976/1977 if I'm not mistaken, so with a sail number as low as 101, I would guess your boat is from somewhere around that time. The serial number etched on the transoms should provide a better indication of the boat's age.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.
Yes, I guess my old boat (sail #101) is pretty much vintage at 40 years old, but she performed beautifully again yesterday in a stiff 15-20 breeze. I'm new to the 18 and noticed she's a very different ride to the 16 and tacks much easier. Hard sheeted to windward, the mast did appear to rotate a little too much given the advice you guys have given me. Also, I did breathe a little easier over the stress on the gooseneck which held up with no problem.

So thank you all again. I do like this boat!

Paul
(Lake cowichan, BC)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TAMUmpower wrote:
Gotta love those original knurled diamond turnbuckle lock nuts. You gotta have a real old 18 to ever see those still. Super convenient to adjust without a wrench.

Agreed! Super easy to adjust the diamond wire tension on the water, I do it whenever conditions change suddenly.

Hummingbird, I believe the last two numbers of the hull VIN should be production year. My boat is a '79, and it has the same turnbuckles as shown in the picture, and it originally had the same mast rotator. Unfortunately, that mast rotator is poorly designed and bent on me the very first day out. The new design is far better, and it's what I have on there now. I believe the sail number my boat was sold with was 1409, an all white mainsail. I still have the sail, but it's got an ugly oil stain that goes all the way up. :x

Glad you enjoyed your first few sails on your Hobie 18! The H18 is a fantastic boat, hard to beat as a mid-range beach cat! It's a clear step up from the Wave/Bravo/T2/Getaway/H14/H16's in terms of performance, but not quite to the step of an F18/Wildcat/Tiger/Nacra/A-cat in terms of high-end complexity or price. Shame Hobie discontinued it, I really think it has a lot more to offer than their other offerings on the market today. If Hobie can't come up with a comparable boat before mine finally gives out, I'll probably move to a Nacra.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SabresfortheCup wrote:
Shame Hobie discontinued it, I really think it has a lot more to offer than their other offerings on the market today. If Hobie can't come up with a comparable boat before mine finally gives out, I'll probably move to a Nacra.

Hobie stopped making the 18 because they didn't sell. The public's tastes and preferences changed and it seems we are lucky anyone is making fiberglass beach cats anymore.