Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do have a related question to this......you mentioned that as you corkscrewed, your leeward wing hit the water with I presume the effect of slowing you further. In the waters I sail in off Sea Isle City NJ, it's common we have a bit of chop and so when it's blowing, very common that the leeward wing will dig in to the water.

Aside from sailing 'flatter' anyone know any tips or tricks to alleviate this? My crazy brain has me rigging up a system to raise up leeward wing (much like you might a windward daggerboard) but that seems impractical. Love any ideas!
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sail the boat flatter, find a flatter piece of water, or take the wings off. I can't really think of any other options and raising the leeward wing each time you tack is totally impractical.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed 100%

Wings, in a way, are like armchairs.
Who wants to sail in 'challenging waters' in an armchair?

As SRM said, sail in flatter waters.....and sail flatter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You could pull the leeward dagger board up some?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

black4est wrote:
You could pull the leeward dagger board up some?

If you're sailing upwind, pulling up the leeward dagger will cause a lot of slip. If you're not already moving forward, you're more likely to slide through the water than move forward.

Like others said, your only options are to get used to the wing digging in, sail the boat flatter, sail in flatter waters, or take them off. They're really more for a relaxing pleasure sail or hiking way out when the wind kicks up suddenly but the water is still relatively calm, they don't work so well when you're trying to push the boat hard in challenging conditions.

If you let the main traveller out by ~6", you can reduce the work in keeping the boat down/flatter without having to continually let out and sheet in the main. You could also keep your weight aft I suppose, but you'll drag your sterns and sail much slower.

Like you said, folding the wing is impractical because you need to un-pin and re-pin it every time, and the wing can only be partially folded in due to the leeward shroud. If you were bound and determined, you could probably unpin the wing and use the trap wires to keep the wing partially folded in, but you have to worry about the wing bouncing, twisting or slamming and doing damage to the shroud, the crossbar endcaps and anchor bolts, the deck and the wing itself.