Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18SX tackle upgrades
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So after 25 years owning a 16 I stumbled upon a deal for a 200? Hobie 18sx. Not sure the year off the top of my head but it’s a 50th anniversary boat. It seems to be completely stock but I’m asking what or if I should update the main and jib tackle? Any suggestions? Also when we took it out last the daggerboards kept popping up. Is there something I’m missing? Also looking for suggestions on tramp and wing replacements. Are there many colors available? I’d like to find light grey.

Post subject: Re: 18SX tackle upgrades
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's allot you can do to a H18SX.

I sent this to a race committee per their request for Portsmouth modifications.
2.2 Regarding boats sailing in the Portsmouth divisions, Any boat having modification(s) which require change(s) to the boat’s Portsmouth Number must provide a list of all such modification(s) and the required Portsmouth correction(s) to the Race Committee in writing prior to the start of the competitor’s briefing.

"I have entered in the _XXX__ regatta in Division 2 greater than 69 class. My H18 SX has a couple of modifications that I should disclose. First I use a aftermarket jib (same size, cut and similar material as OEM) the main sail is a Hobie tiger which is 28sq ft larger than the stock H18 SX and is made of similar material. I have also upgraded my H18SX spinnaker from a tramp launch to a Hobie Tiger snuffer system. The spinnaker is a Hobie 21m and it’s about the same size (within 1 meter) as the H18 SX stock spinnaker.

This is the same setup that I sailed on the Delta Ditch Run this year.

Cheers,"

Quote:
"should update the main and jib tackle? Any suggestions? Also when we took it out last the daggerboards kept popping up. Is there something I’m missing? Also looking for suggestions on tramp and wing replacements. Are there many colors available? I’d like to find light grey.

Update the main blocks to stacking blocks and consider Robe line for the main sheet. Tramp options are White vinyl or Black mesh if your sticking with OEM. Daggerboards check the bungee cords, shorten if fresh, Double up or glue in a small felt at the front of the dagger well to add friction. CHECK or Replace THE SIDE SHROUD ANCHOR PINS, they are the Achilles heal of the H18 standing rigging.
Come to Woodward for Wet N Wild and we can discuss. I'm planning to arrive Thursday before the regatta and would be happy to talk to you about your H18SX

Post subject: Re: 18SX tackle upgrades
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your stock main block system is probably fine. The older stock main block systems were Seaways which were just “ok” but by the 2000’s Hobie was supplying Harken hardware whichi is top knotch stuff. The only thing I would consider changing is the upper block setup. If your boat has three individual (single) blocks attached to the boom, you might want to look at changing that to one triple block which is attached to the center boom bale. The sheet will run cleaner through a single triple block and have less chances of twisting.

For the jib blocks, as long as they are Harken they should be fine (that goes for the blocks on the jib clew). Some folks prefer to run cleatless “Oxen” blocks. It’s a personal preference. The Oxen blocks have some issues IMO.

The other upgrades to consider are improving the stock downhaul. Stock system is a very basic 3:1 setup. Most prefer anywhere from 5:1 to 8:1 and use either a single or double exit block/cam cleats.

You should also look at the rudder system. Some type of composite rudder blade (EPO 1, 2, 3, or fiberglass racing rudders) are the best choice for the 18. A good set of rudders will make a huge difference in the way the bost handles.

sm