Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don’t mean to say that the downhaul is unimportant, I’m just saying that you can sail without it. To put it another way, if I didn’t have a working downhaul, I wouldn’t let that prevent me from getting a day of sailing in! It’s not going to sail perfectly, but it will still move pretty good, and you don’t really risk damaging anything without it... though you’re right, it does help keep the ring locked in place on the main In addition to its primary purpose of remove the wrinkles and shifting the draft of the sail forward.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To go back to your post of June 14th re downhaul....I looked at mine last night.....
take a line and tie it to the grommet at the tack of the mainsail,
down to the portside pulley gadget,
back up to the grommet, back down to the V cleat.
OR
get a 5:1 and be done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had it out couple times , first with main only , then put the jib on ... wow makes big difference ! ( need a jib for my 14 !)
can easily pull one hull up in mild winds solo !
It does ride like a Cadillac vs my 14 !
to make the factory downhaul work a little better I attached small block to the bottom of the sail so it wasn't pulling through the grommet and that friction
Only have couple small problems
1) jib blocks that attach to the sail don't let the rope move free enough for my liking, I'm gong to have to replace them. any suggestions ?
2 ) main sail is very difficult to hoist the last 3-4 FT ! like your going to cut your hands off pulling on the rope ! anyone ever used camcleat with 3:1 block hooked to dead eye it help ? Going to order DuPont dry Teflon spray see if that helps ? or anyone found anything that works better ?
3) when close hauled going fast in good winds hear or feel a slight harmonic vibration ? couldn't tell if it was wind in the diamond wires or ?

H18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jib sheet - lose the specified line (5/16" Spun Braid x 32') and switch to the new-fangled Robbline or Salsa or similar, and at 7 mm.
Easier on the hands, rungs through the blocks quicker, does not get tangled, floats on water, and the colours are better.
The usual problem is that folks oversize their sheets....try 7 mm.
Clean, then lube the jib blocks with silicone spray.
If they still bind, replace them.
Also, try adding pigtails, I think I emailed you some pictures.

Main sail track. Gently lay the boat on its side....(on grass or soft sand). Clean out the mainsail track. Often, during a turtle, mud will get caught in the top of the mast area. Look to see if there is damage to the track.... then lube the track. As you raise the main sail, keep head to wind. If the wind is swirling and the sail moves as little as 20 degrees off centre, the main will 'bind' in the track. If your H18 came with a 'sail feeder', I suggest you remove it. More problems than it is worth. Is someone helping you with the main as you raise? Are they feeding while you pull? It sounds like you are working too hard, and will end up breaking something.

Harmonic vibration - that is the famous 'rudder hum', much written about that on the Forum, you need a pair of scissors and about 3 minutes....look it up. It also means you are traveling at a fair speed - well done. Yes, they do sail like a Cadillac drives....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree regarding hoisting, boat pointed head to wind is critical, lube the luff track, remove sail feeder.

Also check the condition of the bolt rope for wear that could be causing a hang up. If your battens are jammed in hard, that can also cause friction between the luff caps and the luff track. Check the condition of the sheaves at the top and bottom of the mast to make sure they are spinning freely and don’t have any flat spots. Last, if your halyard is too thick, it can cause binding, consider using 1/4” or 3/16” diameter line.

You should not need any extra purchase to hoist the main, however sometimes it helps to have a handle to make things easier on your hands. Usually I just take my pliers (which are kept on the boat anyway), wrap the halyard around them a few times and use that. I also stand right behind the boat and brace one foot against the rear crossbar while pulling.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed SRM....if the battens are too tight, this creates a luff that is very different shape from the 'straight' mast, and binding will occur.
Bolt rope issues are more common in the H16, but happen with all cats.

My buddies in the I-14 always have to lay the boat on it's side so they can raise the main by hand...pull, pull, pull.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 18 is an 83, it is heavy, but it also has no soft spots I can find. The only issue is some spiral cracking of the gelcoat on the decks.