Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All-

New here, not new to Hobies. I'm recommissioning my old '84 (heavy) 18 after many, many years of neglect. Fortunately, everything was off the boat and put away, so I just needed to power wash and buff the hulls.

I just put the tramp back on, and I need to go out and get bungee for lacing it. The boat came with a double grommet rear, and I added double grommets back when I built the boat.

But I have NO IDEA how much bungee to buy. I know different stuff has different stertch rates, etc, but I'd like to get reasonably close. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Jeff, great to hear you are getting back on the water. However, don’t use Bungee. Use 5mm prestretched rope or 3mm spectra rope core. The tramp lacing should be as tight as possible - like really tight! I can’t guide you on the length, sorry. We use a “hook and handle” to tighten our tramp lacing, photos of which can be found in the webpage below. There is a specific photo album called Trampoline with lots of ideas and comments.

Enjoy getting back on the water again.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum! I agree with John, bungie isn't the best for rigging the tramp. You want something stiff that won't stretch. The tighter you can get your trampoline, the more rigid the hulls will be (less flex) and the faster the boat will be. Some folks use bungie for their initial lace up, and then lace it up with the pre-stretched line to tighten it up. Just be careful that you don't pull too hard on any one grommet, you can pull them right out/tear the trampoline (though you may already know all that).

Hobie's part guide lists 19 feet of 1/4" line for the center lacing, and 2 pieces of 15 foot long 1/4" line for the rear lacing.
https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... 1535846426

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, guys. Yep-used to lace all the racers' tramps with line (pre-Dyneema days) but always used shock cord for my own boats. Really looking forward to getting out on the Bay with my son.