Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib track location
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a list of useful measurements for the Hobie 18?

The one I an interested in right now... How far from the back of the front beam should the front end of the jib track?
Mine is 885mm which is about the back of the centre board case. It seems too far back to me

Post subject: Re: Jib track location
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Generally placed towards the center of the track. Adjust so that the jib tell tails "break" evenly. Sail on an upwind course and sheet the jib in. Then start turning the boat into the wind. If the top tell tail on the windward side streams up first, move the jib car forward. If the top tell tail on the leeward side streams up, then move the car aft.

In high wind, you can move them back a few inches to allow the top of the jib to twist open and spill some power. Downwind, you can slide them all the way forward in the track to keep the top of the jib from opening up too much (or in light wind you can just have your crew sit on the low side and hand hold the jib).

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Generally placed towards the center of the track. Adjust so that the jib tell tails "break" evenly. Sail on an upwind course and sheet the jib in. Then start turning the boat into the wind. If the top tell tail on the windward side streams up first, move the jib car forward. If the top tell tail on the leeward side streams up, then move the car aft.

In high wind, you can move them back a few inches to allow the top of the jib to twist open and spill some power. Downwind, you can slide them all the way forward in the track to keep the top of the jib from opening up too much (or in light wind you can just have your crew sit on the low side and hand hold the jib).

sm

Thanks sm but my problem is the actual track position on the hull. The front end of the track starts at the back of the dagger board case. I posted on FB last night and someone replied theirs was 720mm, mine is 885mm, measured from the back of the front beam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just measured one mine from the from back of the front beam to the start of the metal track is 725 mm or about 28 1/2"

Edit think I know what's wrong just measured the track on the Alu tramp track starts 550mm from front 710mm from back 160mm offset 725+160=885
think someone put the tramp tracks on the wrong sides

H18

Last edited by in812 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like your jib tracks are too far aft.

The front of the track should be just slightly aft of the mid point of the daggerboard trunk - about 2” aft of the shroud anchor. There should be four tramp track rivet heads exposed in front of the jib track.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

in812 wrote:
Just measured one mine from the from back of the front beam to the start of the metal track is 725 mm or about 28 1/2"

Edit think I know what's wrong just measured the track on the Alu tramp track starts 550mm from front 710mm from back 160mm offset 725+160=885
think someone put the tramp tracks on the wrong sides

That is what I am thinking too

Looks like some drilling and riveting is in my future!

What size are the rivets and washers than I will need? Hopefully I will not need more washers but there is a chance some might get lost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For Re-riveting the jib track you need countersunk rivets so that the heads aren't raised and won't cause problems with your jib fairlead car. When I re-riveted my tramp track, I skipped the jib track because I couldn't find the right rivets for the job. It ended up being a futile effort anyways, as the tramp track loosened up all over again. I think pulling the rivets consistently tight under the lip of the hull is just something that doesn't work as well as you'd hope.

Hobie doesn't list the specific size/part no. for the rivets used on the jib track, but the rest of the trampoline track is Hobie no. 8010121, which murray's lists as either CCP or MSP 6-10 (3/16" x 5/8") rivet. If you measure the thickness of the jib track and add it to the length of the rivet, I'd imagine you'll end up with a CCC or MSC 6-11 (3/16" x 3/4") or 6-12 (3/16" x 13/16") rivet w/countersunk head. I'd measure the jib track thickness first to be sure, however.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Late reply as I’ve only just signed up to this forum.
My jib block is 1030mm (40.5”) behind the back edge of the front beam.
I removed the jib tracks as I don’t ever slide the block forward or aft. It is set and forget.
By removing the track you eliminate any further corrosion between the stainless jib track and alloy tramp track.
The correct jib block position does depend on how much mast rake you have. The more rake you have, the further forward the block must go to compensate. There are good discussion point on Facebook page HOBIE 18 SCENE or you can view my boats own FB page with many technical photo albums at:

https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John Forbes wrote:
Late reply as I’ve only just signed up to this forum.
My jib block is 1030mm (40.5”) behind the back edge of the front beam.
I removed the jib tracks as I don’t ever slide the block forward or aft. It is set and forget.
By removing the track you eliminate any further corrosion between the stainless jib track and alloy tramp track.
The correct jib block position does depend on how much mast rake you have. The more rake you have, the further forward the block must go to compensate. There are good discussion point on Facebook page HOBIE 18 SCENE or you can view my boats own FB page with many technical photo albums at:

John also has the block inboard from the normal track position, resulting in a narrower sheeting angle