Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Damaged mast repair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased an H18 with a mast that is damaged in a relatively small area which is inches above the spreader arm, and I'm not sure if there is a repair for it or if I need to replace the mast. The mast otherwise looks pretty good. I was thinking about taking a Dremel tool and smoothing off the inside. Will that work, or can anyone else suggest something for me to try?

Here is a link that shows the damaged area:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApL2Pe-LKYIignTNBjJ ... u?e=xpbs7W

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Damaged mast repair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

looks like that bounced around on a crossbar or trailer brace of some sort for a long trip. prob be ok to smooth out and see if the bolt rope comes out.... If nothing else, a good alum welder could prob touch it up for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. Structurally, it looks like it will be fine. The problem will be whether or not you can get the sail up and down smoothly. I would try to clean it up as much as possible using a rotary tool like you mentioned as well as a file and perhaps some sandpaper. As long as the sail goes up without damage and the boltrope doesn’t pop out of the track, it should be ok.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better about this now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When u have finished with the dremmel you should finish off with 600 then 1000 then 1200 wet’n’dry sandpaper. It will need to be very smooth to ensure it doesn’t wear the luff tape.

No structural issues.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i get a box of "Canning Wax" from hardware store. rub that on bolt rope really good a couple times. nice solid, non staining lubricant. if the is a problem where that part of the sail rides, a local seamstress, leather shop could add heavy duty sail mat'l to just that area. then seal up lead to extra layers with sail glue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's a family of 16 sailors out here that had a mast with something like 12" of luff track busted out of the comptip, and while a replacement was ordered... and often near the boat, it sailed fine for most of if not an entire season with a huge section missing... I have done similar things with mine with great success. smooth it out... put the focus on the top edge and bottom edge of the damage, also making sure that it's smooth from the sail's perspective rather than the external one that you can see. The inner edge is what will grab and tear, make it a nice subtle transition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the best would be to find a really tall lift... (even a ladder if the boat was trailered down well enough) Raise the main and see if it slides through repair smoothly. next best thing would be to slide sail through there with mast laying down. This would not be same dynamics but it would give some sort of results. lay the mast on both sides and observe.